Make it count

Men's suits and jackets and formal wear were strewn all over the place. Molly was having a fine time. Jack was dressed, except for his jacket, and Molly was tying his bow tie.

"Don't feel bad about it," she said in a motherly way. "My husband still can't tie one of these damn things after twenty years. There you go."

She picked up a jacket off the bed and handed it to him. Jack went into the bathroom to put it on as Molly started picking up the stuff off the bed.

"I gotta buy everything in three sizes 'cause I never know how much he's been eating while I'm away," she said. She turned and proud smile began to etch across her face as she looked at him. "My, my, my... you shine up like a new penny."

A purple sky, shot with orange, in the west, hovered beautifully over the ship; a beautiful sight to catch from the first class entrance. Drifting strains of classic music, Jack sauntered along the deck, a bit nervous, though he was quite good at hiding it. By Edwardian standards he looked badass, dashing in his borrowed white-tie outfit, right down to his pearl studs.

A steward bowed and smartly opened the door to the First Class Entrance. "Good evening, sir."

Jack played the role smoothly, nodding with just the right degree of disdain. He stepped in and his breath was taken away by the splendor spread out before him.

Overhead was the enormous glass dome, with a crystal chandelier at its center. Sweeping down six stories was the First Class Grand Staircase, the epitome of the opulent naval architecture of the time. And the people: the women in their floor length dresses, elaborate hairstyles and abundant jewelry... the gentlemen in evening dress, standing with one hand at the small of the back, talking quietly.

Jack descended to the A deck. Several men nodded a perfunctory greeting. He nodded back, keeping it simple. He felt like a spy.

Caledon came down the stairs, with Ruth on his arm, covered in jewelry. They both walked right past Jack, neither one recognizing him. Caledon nodded at him, one gent to another. But Jack barely had time to be amused because just behind Caledon and Ruth on the stairs was Avery.

Brown reddish hair up in a rebellious bun at the side of her head, making her whole 'being from another time' of much more obvious; she was a vision in red and black, her low-cut dress showing off her neck and shoulders, her arms sheathed in white gloves that came well above the elbow.

Jack was hypnotized by her beauty.

Eyes transfixed on her elegant frame, Jack watched attentively as she slowly approached him, imitating the gentlemen's stance, hand behind his back. She extended her gloved hand and he took it, kissing the back of her fingers. Avery found herself flushing like never before, beaming noticeably. She couldn't take her eyes off him.

"I saw that in a nickelodean once," said Jack, face completely lit at her presence before him. "And I always wanted to do it."

Biting back a laugh, Avery turned to Caledon, face somewhat sobering up. "Cal, surely you remember Mr. Dawson."

Caledon, caught off guard, said, "Dawson! I didn't recognize you." He studied the third class man who stood before them. "Amazing! You could almost pass for a gentlemen."

They soon found themselves descending from the party to dinner. They encountered Molly Brown, who looked quite good in her beaded dress, in her own busty broad-shouldered way. Molly grinned when she saw Jack.

As they were going into the dining saloon she walked next to him, speaking low. "Ain't nothin' to it, is there, Jack?"

"Yeah, you just dress like a pallbearer and keep your nose up," Jack replied, a small smirk on his lips.