Something I can't have...

Avery crossed the A-deck foyer, sighting Jack at the landing above. Overhead was the crystal dome.

Jack had his back to her, studying the ornate clock with its carved figures of Honor and Glory. It softly stroke the hour.

Avery went up the sweeping staircase toward him. He turned at the sound of her light footsteps, saw her and smiled.

"Want to go to a real party?"

His response was her beautiful smile.

Crowded and alive with music, laughter and raucous carried on. A band was gathered near the upright piano, honking out lively stomping music on fiddle, accordion and tambourine. People of all ages were dancing, drinking beer and wine, smoking, laughing, even brawling.

Tommy handed Avery a pint of stout and she hoisted it. Jack meanwhile danced with five year-old Cora, or tried to, with her standing on his feet.

As the tune ended, Avery leaned down to the little girl. "May I cut in, miss?"

"You're still my best girl, Cora," said Jack.

Face still lit with joy of the moment, Cora nodded at the pair and scampered off. Avery and Jack faced each other. She was trembling as he took her right hand in his left and his other hand slid to the small of her back. It was an electrifying moment.

"I don't know the steps," Avery interjected.

"Just move with me," said Jack. "Don't think."

The music started and they were off. A little awkward at first, she started to get into it. She grinned at Jack as she started to get the rhythm of the steps.

"Wait... stop!" She bent down, pulling off her high heeled shoes, and flung them to Tommy. Then she grabbed Jack and they plunged back into the fray, dancing faster as the music sped up.

The scene was rowdy and rollicking. A table got knocked over as a drunk crashed into it. Throughout that time, Avery was dancing with Jack in her stocking feet. The steps were fast and she shined with sweat. A space opened around them, and people watched them, clapping as the band played faster and faster.

For Fabrizio and Helga, dancing had obviated the need for a common language. He whirled her, then she responded by whirling him... Fabrizio's eyes went wide when he realized she was stronger than he was.

The tune ended in a mad rush.

Jack stepped away from Avery with a flourish, allowing her to take a bow. Exhilarated and slightly tipsy, she did a graceful ballet ployer, feet turned out perfectly. Everyone laughed and applauded. Avery was a hit with the steerage folks, who've never had a lady party with them.

They moved to a table, flushed and sweaty. Avery grabbed Fabrizio's cigarette and took a big drag. She was feeling cocky. Fabrizio was grinning, holding hands with Helga.

"How you two doin'?" Jack asked the pair.

"I don't know what she's say, she don't know what I say, so we get along fine," the lad replied.

"That's great!" Avery exclaimed. "Unpuzzling your partner is one of the best thing in a relationship... unless you discover something disturbing.... but, even then, it's hard to stay away."

Tommy walked up with a pint for each of them. Avery chugged hers, gaining herself surprised stares. She whiped her mouth with the back of her hand and gave them a daring look. "What? You think a first class girl can't drink?"

Everybody else was dancing again, and Bjorn Gundersen crashed into Tommy, who sloshed his beer over Avery's dress. She laughed, not really caring at all. But Tommy lunged, grabbing Bjorn and wheeling him around.

"You stupid bastard!!"

Bjorn came around, his fists coming up, but Jack leaped into the middle of it, pushing them apart. "Boys, boys! Did I ever tell you the one about the Swede and the Irishman goin' to the whorehouse?"

Tommy stood there, all piss and vinegar, chest puffed up. Then he grinned and claps Bjorn on the shoulder.

"So, you think you're big tough men?" Avery scoffed. "Let's see you do this."

In her stocking feet she assumed a ballet stance, arms raised, and went up on point, taking her entire weight on the tips of her toes. She had no idea why she was doing that, even less where that sudden grace came from despite her drunk self, but being who she was and due to the circumstances, she shrugged it off and mentally applauded herself. The guys gaped at her incredible muscle control.

She came back down, then her face screwed up in pain. She grabbed one foot, hopping around. "Oooowww! No wonder why I've never done that before."

Jack caught her as she lost her balance, and everyone cracked up. The door to the well deck was open a few inches as Lovejoy watched through the gap. He saw Jack holding Avery, both of them laughing, and quickly closed the door.

Later that night, the stars blazed overhead, so bright and clear you can see the Milky Way.

Avery and Jack walked along the row of lifeboats. Still giddy from the party, they sang a popular song "Come Josephine in My Flying Machine".

"Come Josephine in my flying machine And it's up she goes! Up she goes! In the air she goes. Where? There she goes!"

They fumbled the words and broke down laughing. They had reached the First Class Entrance, but didn't go straight in, not wanting the evening to end. Through the doors, the sound of the ship's orchestra wafted gently.

Avery grabbed a davit and leaned back, staring at the cosmos. "Isn't it magnificent? So grand and endless." She went to the rail and leaned on it. "They're such small people, Jack... the crowd I'm in. They think they're giants on the earth, but they're not even dust in God's eye. They live inside this little tiny champagne bubble... and someday the bubble's going to burst."

He leaned at the rail next to her, his hand just touching hers. It was the slightest contact imaginable, and all either one of them can feel was that square inch of skin where their hands were touching.

"You're not one of them," said Jack, shaking his head. "There's been a mistake."

Avery gave him an amused look. "A mistake?"

Jack nodded and spoke in a somewhat childish tone, "Uh huh. You got mailed to the wrong address."

Avery threw her head back and laughed. "I did, didn't I?" She paused for a moment, then suddenly pointed at something in the sky. "Look! A shooting star."

"That was a long one," Jack commented.

Avery looked at the wonder in awe. "I've always wanted to see one," she mumbled. "My whole life, but... I never had the chance to." She grimaced slightly, thinking about all the pollution in the world, in her time, that prevents the stars from being seen at night.

"My father used to say that whenever you saw one, it was a soul going to heaven," Jack said.

Avery glanced sideways at him and smiled softly at what he said. "I like that. Aren't we supposed to wish on it?"

Jack looked at her, and found that they were suddenly very close together. It would be so easy to move another couple of inches, to kiss her. Avery seemed to be thinking the same thing, but that only made her fight back a frown; she didn't belong there. And even if she couldn't find a way out, even if it turned out that she could never go home, the ship was going to sink soon. Not only that, but if she survived along with her mother and the 'penguin', Avery would have to marry him, and, although the chances of him surviving are indeterminable, if he didn't come out alive, she would still be forced into a marriage. She would never get to marry someone she loved in that time.

"What would you wish for?" Jack asked softly.

After a beat, Avery pulled back. "Something I can't have," she mumbled. She gave him a sad yet polite smile and nodded. "Goodnight, Jack. And thank you." She left the rail and hurried through the First Class entrance.

"Avery!!"

But the door banged shut, and she was gone.

Back to her world.