Epilogue

(A.N. There will be some mature content nearing the end of this last chapter, so you know if you're old enough to read it, or want to either way, by all means— go right ahead. I tried to make that part as detailed yet clean as possible, meaning I didn't put any dirty talking or any of that stuff. It's a simple reunion-love scene. Putting that aside, I hope you like the chapter.)

Dressed in a neat dark suit Brock had given him, Jack stood outside the large oak doors of the 'Dawson' residence, still indecisive on whether he should knock or not.

She loves you, Jack. She loved you enough to move on in her life, but too much to let you go.

He sighed. If that's true, now all I have to hope is that I don't give her a heart attack, he thought. Mind finally set, he raised his hand toward the door, though before he could even give it a first knock, it opened, revealing the old man Jack recognized from the previous night.

Edwin, was it? Yes, that's right. Edwin Hartwell, Brock had told him, Avery's butler.

The old man's aged, thin lips curled up into a knowing smile. "Ah, Mr. Dawson."

Jack blinked in surprise. "You... you know me?"

The old man chuckled. "I know of you. There's a large portrait of you the Missus had painted of you in the lounge."

Jack took a cautious step backward. "You're not gonna have a heart attack, are you?" he blurted out, mentally face-palming himself for how stupid that must have sounded.

The old man chuckled again. "No, Mr. Dawson. I have prepared my heart and mind for this sort of stuff ever since I met and began to dedicate my services to the Mistress of this humble abode. Please come in, it must be chilly outside."

"O-of course. Thanks," said the young man as he followed the butler inside.

"It is rather early," said Edwin. "If you have not had your morning meal yet, may I offer you one? The Missus will awaken soon for her own, which is still cooking."

Jack nodded. "Erm... sure, thanks."

Edwin led the young man into the main lounge, then with one last smile sent his way, he left him there and went to finish up making breakfast for Avery, himself, and now Jack as well. After bringing the young man out of time his plate and leaving him to his thoughts, he took the last plate along with his own to Avery's room; they often ate together, on her call, especially after long nights such as the previous one. He knocked, then went in either way when he received no answer; she was still asleep.

He entered the large, dark room, rolling the metal cart that carried the dishes in front of him and left it on the side, before closing the door then making his way over to the long red satin curtains.

She groaned and turned in her bed when the hot rays of sunshine hit her face.

"Rise and shine, Miss Dawson."

She moaned tiredly. "No..." she mumbled, with a slight childish edge to her tone.

He chuckled, walking over to her bed. "I suggest you do before I call Rachel instead."

She froze, then peaked through her wild curls at him. "You wouldn't."

He smiled, a hint of mischief glittering in his eyes. "You know I would, Miss."

She groaned. Whenever there were days like the current, when she felt too lazy and just didn't want to get up, Edwin would call Rachel who would rush over and bring her to wake in an unpleasant way. The last time, she poured all over her three buckets of water recently bathed in by dogs; Avery spent the next hour and a half in the shower, emptying her body wash and shampoo all over herself.