Chapter 24: A Brick Wall Smiles

----------Bruce's POV: ----------

I would be stupid if I didn't notice the odd glances towards the door that Percy would do. Every sound of someone in the hall seemed to make her jump, and it had been that way all morning.

Even before she was sat in my office, she'd been acting strange, at breakfast her eyes wouldn't leave the windows, and I heard from the kids that she was acting a bit jumpier than usual, with Stephanie scaring her in the hallway after saying hi.

This obviously wasn't normal behavior, and it didn't take a therapist to know that something was up, and it was throwing me off. The way she seemed to be more tense was off putting, it was almost like she was battle ready at any second and it was making me nervous in turn. I couldn't get work done like this, so I came up with an idea. 

"Hey Percy?" She turned to me quickly, her face relaxing slightly. 

"Yes?" she asked quickly. 

"I was thinking today we could take a break, what would you say to going out for lunch? I know a great diner a little way from here." Her face broke out into a small smile, and she nodded. 

"Actually, that sounds great. Do you want to go now?" She asked, standing up from her spot on one of the seats. 

"Now would be great" I said, easing at her smile. It was nice to see her relax again. 

I stood up, joining her as the two of us left the room. 

As we neared the front of the manor, I grabbed my sunglasses and jacket, things that did little to disguise my identity and yet they worked like charms. Maybe Clark is onto something there. 

"Are you two going out?" Alfred asked, stepping out of the dining room as he looked between the two of us, ending on me with a small smile. 

I nodded. "Yes Alfred, we'll be heading to the diner I was telling you about a couple days ago." Alfred nodded. 

"Would you like me to drive you there?" He asked, already reaching for the keys. 

"Actually, I think we'll just go out alone. I'll keep you updated on things." Alfred's smile seemed to grow a bit more as he nodded again. 

"Alright Master Bruce. I wish you all a great outing, and please, both of you be careful." I nodded, grabbing the keys and heading outside, Percy following behind me. 

"You know, if you don't want to go to the diner, we can go wherever you like," I said, turning to Percy before getting into the car. Percy looked up to me with a small smile. 

"Nah, let's go to the diner, I honestly just kind of wanna be out for a little bit, so thanks for even suggesting the idea." I nodded, getting into the driver's seat as Percy got into the passenger's seat. 

As I started off, Percy turned up the music a bit, allowing for a quiet yet nice atmosphere. 

I drove in silence, with Percy occasionally singing small bits of the song that she liked, but then going quiet again as she looked out the window cautiously. 

When we eventually parked and walked over to the diner, it was becoming much more evident that something was off as Percy was looking around at everyone like they would come at us guns blazing. I swear I saw her glare at a coughing baby for a second. 

I made sure to get us a table in the back. 

When we sat down, I allowed Percy to be seated with her back to the wall, giving her access to look at anyone who was entering the diner, and I swear I could hear a small thank you as I did so.