Chapter 26: A Common Philosophy Between Friends

-----------------Bruce's POV: -----------------

I barely managed to catch of glimpse of Percy's wide eyes as she looked out over the event before people recognized me. A wave of cheers sounding from below us, the sea of people raising their glasses of champagne and other alcoholic beverages in celebration or welcome.

Most of these people I knew, either from work events, or from previous relations with my dad. Many of the older gentlemen had been the ones to 'comfort me' by trying to get me to invest in their buisness. Thank God for Alfred or I might not be able to hold these parties anymore. No matter what they say, these men only looked out for themselves, doesn't matter whose parents died. 

I put on my best buisness smile and waved over to the people, briefly turning to Percy to see her following suit with the smile, though she didn't wave, instead just looking out over the crowd. 

"You ready?" I asked quietly. Percy just gave me one of her award-winning smiles, nodding. 

"Too late to go back now, now come on" She walked past me, turning back with an odd glint in her eye. "You have people waiting." 

I ignored the bump in my chest as I followed after her, nearly getting stopped immediately as we got to the bottom of the stairs, though, this time, instead of me getting pulled off alone, Percy was also dragged, the people shaking her hand with an enthusiastic, or in some cases, more fake smiles. 

"Hello Miss! Who might you be!" An older gentleman. 

"Oh my! Your hair is lovely! What products do you use?" A younger woman. 

Percy sent me a small look of help and I immediately pulled away from the man in front of me and went to her side, giving the crowd a smile. 

"Hello everyone! Due to recent events, I have taken on a bodyguard, so please, meet Percy Jackson!" People immediately rushed over again, though this time, Percy stayed by my side, and we talked with the people around us. 

The next hour seemed to go by in a flurry, the voices and people blending into one another as they each proposed me the same fruitless idea with a different business. I really should learn to keep my expectations lower; I mean I come in with the hope for one difference, but it always ends up being the same.

At some point I just grabbed a drink from a nearby plate, sipping on the burning drink as the people continued to talk to me endlessly, either bragging about their wealth or their kids' accomplishments, or better yet, both. 

I barely saw Percy the whole night. Even though she was beside me, she was often dragged off into other conversation by someone else, or she stood slightly behind me and out of my peripheral as she scanned the crowd carefully, a distasteful look on her face. 

"And so, I was thinking that we could merge companies! I mean not only would the publicity be crazy, but it also has internal benefits for the both of us!" The man said, wide eyed as if presenting the best offer in the world. The woman beside him clung to him with an overexaggerated look of love, if only proving she in fact had no interest in him. Though her body language said that plain as day.

"yeah" I said nodding, chugging the rest of the drink. I really hated these things. "I'll definitely think about it, but I can't have any certainties." The man nodded with a smug smile as if he'd sealed the deal. 

"Of course, take as long as you need. I just hope you realize the potential in this conjoining."

"Oh, I do" I said nodding, holding back the pursing of my lips and disgust as he pointed to his cheek and the lady placed a light kiss.