Chapter 32: The Awful News

------------Percy's POV: --------------

"Hey Bruce" I walked into the room with a smile on my face. 

Yesterday was hard. While it was true that I wasn't mad at Jason, the whole thing didn't clear my bad feeling. I could only hope that Doctor Cole finds something, anything at all to help me. But for now, I had to focus on trying to convince Bruce to let me leave early. 

He looked up from his work with a small smile. "Hello Percy, you're much earlier than usual, is something up?" He asked, setting down his work. I gave him a smile as I nodded. 

"Yeah, actually, I have a dentist appointment today, so I was wondering if I could leave early. I've already finished all that I need to-"

"Sure, just make sure to be safe, okay?" I was a bit startled at how easy it was to convince- well, just ask I suppose but I gave him my gratitude, nonetheless. 

"Thanks Bruce, I'll be here early tomorrow morning." Bruce nodded, pausing for a moment before speaking up. 

"Actually, I was wondering if tomorrow night you'd like to get dinner with me. No business associates or party goes, just the two of us." The dark feeling eased, and I felt myself relax slightly. 

"Sure, I'd love to." Bruce smiled in return, the small act making me smile wider. 

"Great, I can prepare reservations if you don't mind me choosing?" 

"Not at all. Though please tell me if it's a nicer place or not." He nodded, leaning back in his chair slightly. 

"Of course. I'll text you the details tonight, but that's enough for now. Have a good day, Percy." I nodded, giving him a small wave as I turned and left the office, quickly taking a deep breath as I began my way out the manor. 

As I was going down the steps though a voice caught me off guard, though today I seemed to be a lot more on my game, not getting startled by them as I turned to see Cassandra, a sympathetic look on her face. "Percy! Hold on." I stopped on the steps, allowing her time to walk over and catch up. 

When she did, I could see some sort of apologetic look spread across her face. 

"Percy I just wanted to-" She paused for a minute as she seemed to realize I had all the stuff I usually had when I left. "Wait, are you leaving?" I nodded, giving her a short smile. 

"Yeah, if you don't mind walking with me actually, I don't want to be late." She nodded hesitantly as the two of us began making our way down and out the manor. As we reached the door, I turned to her with a smile. "Now what's up?"

"Oh" she said, as if she'd forgotten she were trying to tell me something earlier. "Well, I wanted to apologize for making you upset yesterday." I felt my brows furrow as I slowed my walk. Suddenly I seemed to notice small signs of guilt, like the way her hands were fiddling by her sides. "But you were upset, and I was just trying to see what it was about."

I shook my head, taking in a deep breath of the cool air. "Cassandra, I'm fine. I know you meant no harm, it's just... yesterday wasn't my best day. I wasn't feeling good, so I'm heading to the doctors today to get a checkup." 

Cassandra nodded slowly, looking towards where we were walking as we approached the front gate. 

"Well then, can I come with you?" I looked over, slightly confused as to if what I heard was true or a play on my imagination. 

"What?" I asked, trying to see if I could get her to repeat. 

"Can I come with you? I feel bad and would like to make sure you're okay." I let out a small sigh as I gave Cassandra a small smirk.