Chapter .13

Settle Grace Memorial Hospital

Rain dripped on the windows of the hospital as Melody sat in a wheelchair on the ER floor, cringing as Doctor Webber shouted at his two top surgeons in one of the examining rooms.

The entire ER floor could hear Webber chewing the two men out. In that moment Melody wanted to disappear, vanish into thin air if she could, or even run away. In her case, she could wheel away but she wouldn't get very far. Her stitches were still healing and any sudden movements would send a ping of discomfort.

"You have got to be kidding me." George O'Malley whispered looking at Melody who had her face in her palms, hiding from the embarrassment and from another man.

George promptly placed his chart at the nurses station, and walked over to Melody. Once he was right in front of her, he aggressively crossed his arms, "Melody Witney Tyler."

Like a kid who just got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, Melody slowly rose her head out of her hands with a guilty look, "George, I'm your superior. You know that right?" She questioned, still having a guilty look on her face. Her voice wasn't harsh at all, more shaky than anything. Her attempt in being tough failed miserably.

"You're not working." He retorted in a stern voice. There was a pause between the two as the gears in his head started to turn, "Don't tell me you picked him..." George's voice trailed off glancing over at the three men through the examination window. His eyes specifically went over to Mark who sat in the room, holding his busted hands. George thought Joey was the right choice, not the local hook up.

Melody cried, shoving her face into her hands once again, "George! That's the problem, I can't pick!"

The intern sighed, already done with her stupid boy drama. Carefully, he glanced around for any wondering eyes before he quickly rolled Melody away into one of the conference rooms.

Melody watched in confusion as George fumbled around the room, dramatically snapping all the blinds shut on all four walls.

"Melody, you need to pick!" He shouted, finally cracking.

The blonde groaned, "Georgie-"

"No. Pick one."

"But who?!"

"Which one do you want?"

"I don't know!"

"Yes you do. Pick one."

"George-"

"Three."

"George, the count down isn't going to-"

"Two."

Melody stopped talking, watching George carefully in an attempt to call out his bluff.

Shockingly, he wasn't bluffing.

"One and a half-"

"Mark!" The woman in the wheelchair blurted, before quickly snapping both of her hands over her mouth in shock.

George's face fell at her response, "Seriously?!"

While Melody confessed, Mark sat in the examination room after everyone left with guilt eating his stomach alive.

He couldn't help but worry about his friendship with Derek, after all he just recently won his trust back before completely destroying it with getting with the woman he told him not too. Getting with the woman that was his woman's woman.

Then his mind with to Melody, sweet Mel. Too innocent and indecisive for her own good. Did he scare her off by punching Derek?

The examination door clicked opened, reveal Callie with a silver tray of neatly arranged syringes in her grasp, "You are a very stupid man." She didn't ask how he was, no, she told him how incredibly stupid his actions were.

Mark's shoulders slouched, watching Callie shut the door behind her and gently placing the tray on one of the tables with wheels underneath it.

"So stupid in fact, you got the shit beaten out of you." She continued, walking over to the side of the room and pulling out two light blue latex gloves, "Got into a fist fight when your job relies on your hands. A job where you have back to back surgeries today."

There was a pause between the two. Mark looked up at Callie who snapped her latex gloves on with a death stare into Mark's eyes.

"Are you done?" He questioned, laying his hands out on the table in front of him, "Like you said, I have back to back surgeries today." His mood was sour from Derek, and the strong possibility that McFoxy could be with Melody.

Luckily, he was wrong, but he didn't know that.

Callie shook her head, snatching one of the syringes and without warning, injecting the liquid into Mark's hand.

Mark inhaled sharply, not expected the pain that followed his injections, "Callie," McSteamy called out, "I really like her. You know I do."

The woman sighed, pulling the needle out of the man's skin, "I know you do." She threw the syringe onto the tray beside her, "But do you know how to like her without hurting her?" Her eyes trail up to Mark's, who looked at her with uncertainty.

He doesn't know how, and he started to think that Joey was the better choice for her.

Not him.

Joey wouldn't hurt her like he would.

* * *

"I can't believe you." Cristina sighed, taking a seat beside Melody as she placed down a stack of paperwork in front of her.

"Yeah, tell me about it." Meredith responded from the other side of the table with her head down in between her arms.

"I mean, you had McFoxy. He's perfect, hot, great with kids." Cristina hummed, listing off all the good traits of Joey, making Melody feel even worse about her feelings.

The blonde shook her head around, "Can we talk about something else? Anything else?" Melody pleaded, hugging her arms in the cool hospital.

"Derek almost proposed to me."

"I've been sleeping with Hunt."

Melody's face fell as she realized the three of them all had boy troubles in one form or another. She just didn't know which one to address first, Meredith's emo boyfriend or Cristina's PTSD one night stand.

"Never mind." The woman decided not to question either of their situations. She didn't know if she had the energy to care.

Her's alone sent her into exhaustion.

"Maybe I should go gay." Meredith finally spoke up after the girls sat in silence for a whole five minutes just contemplating life.

"I don't think you could." Cristina spoke carelessly.

"I wish I could." Melody hummed closing her eyes, "Maybe it would make my life easier."