Chapter 12: Rivals

"Good Morning!!! Let's get started with today's rankings! Today is a great day for (your sign)! Your lucky item of the day is a rabbit!"

Midorima groaned as he rubbed his hand over his face. He blinked his eyes with dark circles under them.
'I didn't sleep at all...'

"Onii-chan, are you okay?" Midorima's little sister asked.
The green-haired boy poked at his meal, then looked up with a dead look on his face.

"Yes." He simply stated as he rose from his seat.
"I'm not that hungry nanodayo." The teen grabbed a piece of toast, leaving his eggs and meat behind.

'This...shouldn't be a bad thing. I just have to act normal.'

"And lastly, Cancers should be on guard today! Many misfortunes are awaiting you today! So don't forget your lucky item, a basket!"

The shooting guard's eyes opened wide as the cheerful reporter's report repeated in his mind.

"Mother, is it alright if I stay home?" Midorima asked, still frozen in place.

"Why, Shintarou—" The boy's mother turned and saw the Oha-Asa report.
"No, you are going to school Shintarou."

"But—"

"No! Now take your lucky item and go. You should be early." His mother placed an item in his hand and pushed her son out the door.

Midorima sighed as he began to walk. His thoughts of yesterday's call with Momoi filled his mind, causing him to lower his head.
"How could this be?" He mumbled for about the 100th time.

The moment he entered the classroom, all the people who had arrived early stared at him in shock.
The shooting guard looked terrible, horrible, and tired.

"Good morning, Shin-cha— woah. You look terrible!" Takao exclaimed, causing the taller boy to flinch.

"I am aware nanodayo." Midorima mumbled as he sat in his desk.

"Did you sleep?"

"Not at all." Midorima lay his head on his desk.
"Watch my lucky item nanodayo."

"This cute bunny?" Takao said with a chuckle. He grabbed the item from the green-haired boy's hand.

"Bunny?"

"Yeah! I guess that's your lucky item today...?"

Midorima immediately sat up.
"M-my lucky item today is not a rabbit, it is a basket nanodayo..."
The male began to shake as his expression darkened.
"Mother....."

"W-woah! Shin-chan, calm down! I'll go find one for you so–"

"Good morning!"

Midorima and Takao froze. You blinked twice then tilted your head to the side.
"Did something happen...?" You asked hesitantly.
You stared hard at the two's expression...then,
Your cheeks puffed up and turned red.

"YOU TWO LOOK TERRIBLE!!! BUT AT THE SAME TIME LIKE A COMEDY DUO!!" You explained during your fit of laughter.

The two sweat dropped as your "outgoing" side let loose.

When you finally calmed yourself, you sat in your seat to catch your breath.
"O-oh yeah! By the way!" You exclaimed once you remembered what you were going to say...before that.

"It looks like I was right!"

"Right?" Takao asked.

"Shin-chan was in a bad mood near the end of the day so I wanted to give him something to cheer him up!"

"Don't nanodayo." Midorima said, attempting to take on a cold attitude.

"Too bad!" You said with a chuckle.
You rummaged through your suitcase and brought out a foldable basket, causing Midorima's and Takao's eyes to widen in surprise and shock.

"I know you're into Oha-Asa things so...I watched it this morning and decided to give you another lucky item of the day! Now you can be a extra lucky today!" You said as you gave the pea head the flat basket.

"All you have to do is unfold it a bit then it'll pop out into a basket! You should put this mini basket in your giant basket!! ...erm where is it anyway?" (Name) asked as she looked around the classroom.

"Here." Takao said while attempting to stifle his laughter. He handed you the stuffed toy rabbit.

"...isn't this (Your Sign)'s lucky item today?"

"That's your sign isn't it?" Takao asked, suppressing a growing grin.

"Yeah! Why?"

Takao turned to Midorima who was yet again, groaning.

"What's this, Shin-chan?" Takao asked in an amused tone.

Midorima's expression seemed to darken at Takao's amusement.
"My mother gave me the wrong item." He sighed, beginning to approach you.

As you stifled your laughter, you handed him the folded basket.
"It's kind of like fate, isn't it?" You said with a smile.

The boy's emerald eyes widened. As his heart slowly but surely, began to beat faster.

"I think that you know you love someone when really all you think about is them. Especially when they smile."

"Eh..Shin-chan, did I say something out of character..?" You asked, slowly laughing.

This time, it was your turn to looked surprise. Midorima grinned as he unfolded the basket.
"Yes."

A sweat drop rolled down your forehead.
"But—"

"Yet at the same time no."

You stared at the green haired boy in disbelief.
"Hey, Shin-chan, are you alright?" You asked hesitantly.

The shooting guard's smile disappeared somewhat disappointing you.
'He barely smiles, so maybe that's why...'

"Of course, I have my lucky item now." He said as a "matter of fact".

"Ah alright then. But you know I feel pretty unlucky..." You began as you pressed your lips together.

"So—"

"Here."

"Huh?"

"I have no use for this item. So I do not see the harm in giving you the item." He handed the stuffed rabbit to you.

Your cheeks were dusted in light red as you accepted the small rabbit.

"How...uh, I mean thanks, Shin-chan!"

As the two maybe enjoyed this little moment, Takao watched with mixed feelings.

"I wonder how this is going to end...Shin-chan or Kyo-chan huh..." He hummed quietly to himself.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
[ I feel like this was WAYAAYYY shorter than the usual chapters that I write so I apologize;
And idek if people will read this but if you do, please comment as much as you can, it really motivates me to write more ouo :)
and if I don't update soon, forgive me, school is making me really busy ;•-•
I hope you guys keep reading!
Thanks ^_^ ]

| Date: 2/1/16 |