Chapter One: Prison Break

Sonic watched the asylum through the lenses of his night vision goggles. The world was tinted a greenish color and contrasted with black on the edges. His blue hair fell in front of his eye, and lifted up his hand and batted it away. He needed full concentration right now, no distractions. It was going to go off at any minute now. He looked down at his watch for a split second and checked the time labeled on it. 10:33 AM. He grinned. His partner would be detonating the bombs any second now. 

"Three, two, one," he whispered. "Boom." Milliseconds after he said that, a massive explosion rocked the north side of the asylum. Sonic laughed as he heard the alarms and sirens start to sound. In the town below, he saw red and blue flashing lights quickly coming up the hill. He whistled softly. "Nice response time," he muttered, giving them a slight grudging respect. "But you don't have enough manpower for the next two," he smirked. A second explosion blew up into the air, throwing debris and bodies everywhere as the south wall crippled under the force of the bombs planted there. Sonic could picture his partner's face, laughing as all get out as the bombs blew up and the puny guards tried to rally forces to figure out what was going on and hopefully defend their asylum. 

Sonic could see said guards running around like chickens with their heads cut off as they scrambled to their guns and other defenses. Futile efforts made even more futile when  the last two bombs went off. These two were the biggest of them all. One of them exploded in the middle of the asylum, destroying four of the five guard towers and the fatally crippling the asylum's main security control central. The final one blew open the east wall, and Sonic quickly shoved his goggles into his canvas bag that he slung on his shoulder, rushing down the hill to the violent and twisted wreckage as the emergency services arrive. 

Paramedics bundled quickly out of the EMS ambulances and rushes towards the broken debris that was the former asylum with stretchers and first aid kits with the Red Cross symbol on it. Next to them, four fire trucks and two smaller fire trucks parked and the firefighters jumped out with their hoses and  extinguishers as they ran to put out the raging fire that was destroying both evidence and the actual structure, making it more dangerous for both the inmates and the guards still trapped inside. 

The final first responders to arrive on the dreadfully grim scene were possibly Sonic least favorite branch of the government and/or federal agency: the police officers. Coppers. Bobbies. Pigs. Blue healers. Alphabets. Barneys. Bizzies. Blue coats. Cops. The people who had arrested Kovu and Vitani and Nuka in the first place, after they had almost succeeded in their ultimate plan. And then later Kion, the nice lion who was arrested a year later for multiple accounts of murder. Sonic had heard all about them on the news, and disagreed with everything the cops said about them. It seemed they were making up lies about them. Yes, they had murdered people, there was no way around that. But so had Sonic. And these false claims about Kion being a terrorist or Kovu being a secret government agent were probably the most absurd claims he had ever heard. 

Of course, busting these guys out was just a bonus. It was a complete lucky coincidence that his boyfriend, Tails, had been put in the same cell block as Kion and Kovu, and right in between the two. What luck! Tails finally got to meet some of his heroes. (Most of his other ones were already dead.) And, better yet, they liked him back! According to the letters and visits Sonic had exchanged with Tails, they had liked him a lot. Sonic was really happy that his boyfriend was finally getting the recognition and admiration, he deserved, especially from two of his most recent heroes and role models. 

When Tails got arrested and thrown in this goddamn asylum, Sonic was furious. When he learned that Tails was sharing a cell block with some of the most infamous psychopathic criminals in the entire Great Lands (which consisted of the Pridelands, the Backlands, the Outlands, Zootopia, the Tree of Life, Green Hills). 

Sonic reached the hole in the east wall and watched as inmates and angry and scared guards ran out. He saw Tails running towards him and he grabbed him as he ran past and dragged him down behind the rocks he was hiding behind. Tails turned around and smiled happily, before grabbing Sonic and kissing him. A throat cleared, and the two jumped apart, Sonic drawing his handgun before realizing that Kion and Kovu stood there, next to Sonic's partner, Knuckles. He nodded to Knuckles and Knuckles grunted. Knuckles didn't talk much but was great in a fight, and could probably beat everybody here. Even Kion and Kovu, who Sonic had heard were great in action, but were more prone to manipulation and deception. Sonic respected that, mostly 'cause Tails did the same. 

"We should probably go," said Kion, his head and shoulders twitching a bit. Sonic nodded. The twitching thing freaked him out a bit, but it was just how whatever created the world made him. Just like Sonic was as fast as he was, and Tails was as hot and brilliant as he was. 

"I brought a van," Sonic said, pointing in the  general direction of said motor vehicle. Kovu nodded and the group started quickly moving dodging first responders, guards, and other escaping inmates. Once, they ran into a guard, who pulled a gun on Kion, but Kovu pulled out a shank made with a toothbrush and stabbed it into his chest, making the guard scream in pain before Kovu shoved him to the ground and stabbed him to death, spilling lots of blood. More than Sonic thought possible for a shanking. The group quickly continued on their way with no more incidents. 

Sonic opened the door of the dark blue van, looking all nice and innocent parked on the side of the road. Once Knuckles, Kion and Kovu had all climbed into the back, Tails and Sonic got into the front. Sonic revved the engine and the van jerked to a start and drove away from the smoldering, flaming wreckage of the Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane.