Chapter Seven: Breakout

Tails lifted the radio to his mouth. "Alright, check in. You in position?" He pulled back and waited. A couple seconds later, he heard a bit of static and a crackling reply from Knuckles, also known as the Echidna Hitman. "Got it, Tails. I'm ready when you are." Tails lifted the binoculars in his other hand and looked through. 

The prison was still up and running. Security cameras, armed guards, maybe a few motion or heat sensors, but most likely not. The guards made patrols around the building every five minutes, so Knuckles would have five minutes to carry out his part of the operation. Tails could do the rest. He raised the walk-in-talkie back up to his mouth. 

"Alright, listen carefully," he said to Knuckles. "Once I finish hacking the security cameras, you're gonna have about five minutes while they're down to get in and out before the guards come back." He could basically hear Knuckles thinking. He sighed. "Don't even think about it, Knuckles," he warned. "These guys have more firepower than you could probably withstand. It's not just Tasers and dart pistols, it's heavy weaponry. I'm talking assault rifles, shotguns, a couple of handguns. And those towers are loaded, man. Machine guns, spotlights, and tear gas canisters, all ready to be deployed. I mean, this prison is gonna be hard to bust two people out of." 

Knuckles chuckled. "Then you obviously haven't been with me long enough." Tails shook his head and sighed. "Deactivating cameras now." He tapped the keyboard on his laptop and watched as the multiple split screens on his second laptop all went staticky and then just plan dark. "Cameras down. Spotlights away. Guards coming in five minutes and counting." 

Knuckles darted out from the bush he was under and sprinted towards the prison. There was a bit of commotion and confusion as the guards tried to get their spotlights and cameras back on to no avail. Knuckles ducked and dodged just in case until he got to the massive door built into the huge concrete wall. "Tails," he asked. "I'm here." 

"Copy that," Tails said, his hands clicking away on his keyboard. A couple seconds later there came a "done" from the fox, and the gate buzzed and unlocked itself. Knuckles grabbed the handle and pulled it open, grunting with the exertion of the massive effort. The door slolwy swung open, and Knuckles ducked inside, careful not to let the straps of his backpack get caught as Tails closed the door slowly, blocking anybody who was after them. 

"I'm in," Knuckles growled as he scanned the stone courtyard, complete with more barbed wire and catwalks for guards to patrol high above the prisoners, ready to release rubber bullets and tear gas in case of a riot or a fight, which would usually end in a riot of some shape or form. Knuckles grinned, he knew his way around prisons. Being busted by the cops had taught him how to navigate prisons. And if Nuka and Vitani were high end prisoners (which they were), they would be held in Cell Block D, the one where most of the maximum security prisoners were held. Medium security took up Cell Blocks B and C, and minimum security watered held in Cell Block A, nearest to the outside. But Cell Block D was holed up in the middle, surrounded by concrete walls. Knuckles had a way around that. 

He grinned. He reached his hand inside his light brown canvas backpack and unzipped it, revealing a couple of sticks of dynamite and some Semtex. He laughed and placed it at the base of the concrete wall in front of him. 

He turned and ran a couple of paces (or steps) backwards, and ducked down, covering his ears as the explosion shook the ground and rattled his brain. He slowly stood back up and quickly rushed to the wall. The cell block had been blown wide open, and had made a sizable hole in Vitani's cell. She stared at him in abject shock. "Knuckles?" she asked, confusion darting across her face. He grinned at her. He looked around. "Where's Nuka?" he asked, now his turn to be confused. 

Vitani's mouth opened and shut, and his eyes brimmed with tears before they started to stream down her face. "H-he didn't make it. S-some guy s-shanked him the f-first month." She broke crying, holding her face in her hands. Knuckles held her close and out of the corner of his eye he saw movement in the corner of the cell. He grabbed Vitani and pushed her behind him, pulling out a knife. 

"Stay back," he growled. Then he felt Vitani's hand on his arm. "It's okay," she said. "That's my...erm, girlfriend, Vita." Knuckles' eyes flitted back over to the figure in the shadows and it stepped out. It was a average height jackal with long brown hair and mischievous looking eyes.

"Fine," Knuckles snarled, pointing the knife at her. "You are coming with us. C'mon, you two." He turned and started to quickly jog out of the cell block, with Vitani and her jackal girlfriend Vita hot on his Tail. He lifted his walkie talkie to his mouth and clicked the on button. "Tails," he said. "Coming out with the package. How much time?" 

He heard shaky breath on the other side. "Thirty seconds, Knuckles," he said. Knuckles sped up, and so did the two girls behind him. Finally, they reached the wall, and Knuckles threw a grenade at it and covered Vitani and Vita as it blew open. He rushed out into the open, it's the sun streaming down happily on them, shouting and yelling coming from behind them back at the prison. They quickly reached the white van, where Tails was sitting in the driver seat. His mouth opened as he took in that Nuka wasn't with them. 

"D-did he...?" He asked. Knuckles solemnly nodded, and Tails crossed himself and hung his head. "Get in," he said softly. Knuckles nodded, and climbed into the passenger seat, and Vitani and Vita got into the back. Tails hit the gas and the van drove off quickly, with the smoking prison behind them.