Chapter 8: Gang Fight

Sonic slowly pulled the old faded red pick up truck into the city limits. He rolled up their windows, and kept his hand on his gun due to the copious amounts of criminal element and seediness reeking from the dilapidated houses, broken glass windows, and crashed and/or burned/charred cars and trucks rammed in to buildings and flickering street lights. Next to him, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Kion do the same, his knuckles curled around the grip part of it, his index finger inching, itching, closer and closer to the trigger the farther they slowly moved through the darker parts of the corrupted city of Pride Rock. The back of his neck and his quills prickled as the two of them moved gradually past a ruined, bombed in town house, with broken glass and chunks missing from the faded red roof and light stone grey walls. 

Sonic pulled in to his a small patch of dead and dying yellow grass next to a ransacked store and, with no hurry, moved his truck in to the secret and mostly safe parking spot that Kion had known about, due to his travels throughout the city of Pride Rock, both during his killings, his vigilante work, and with Kovu, Vitani, and Nuka.

Kion got out of the red pick up truck and quietly shut the door behind him, one hand by his side and the other permanently planted near his handgun, his precious Sig Sauer P320, the nice gun that Sonic had bought at a gun shop before busting everyone out of the asylum and giving them all guns, mostly handguns. Sonic jumped down, making sure to crouch so the shock wouldn't injure his back and he too slowly and quietly closed his door on the pick up truck. 

They nodded to each other over the bed of the pick up truck and slowly started to move through the city's ruined streets, the broken parts of Pride Rock. Kion looked around at all the bombed in buildings and bullet holes riddling walls and windows. Damn, he thought. It looks like a fucking war zone out here. He shook his head and saw a bit of movement in the corner of his eye. He grabbed his pistol and whipped it out, firing four rounds in quick succession and almost emptying his magazine. Sonic pulled out his handgun as well, a Glock 43, a subcompact version of the widely popular Glock 19. He nodded to Sonic and the two of them flanked the big pile of trash and debris where Kion had seen the motion and had fired at. 

The two turned around the bend around the pile of trash and pointed their guns around. Nothing. Kion shrugged and the two of them both slowly turned around, examining all of their surroundings. No more movement. They sighed and replaced their guns in their holsters, looking at each other in confusion and wariness. 

Suddenly, a bullet whizzed by them and Kion jumped back, pulling out his Sig Sauer again and firing upwards, where the shot had come from. He heard the bullets hit the concrete barrier above and saw the barrel of the sniper rifle stick out above it. He took aim carefully and squeezed the trigger. The bullet hit the rifle's barrel and dented it, rendering it mostly useless. He heard a loud "Shit!" come from whoever had been using the rifle and was currently hiding behind the concrete barrier with an obsolete weapon. 

Two shots flew past them from behind and Kion jerked around and fired two shots, letting the nice feel of the gun recoil in his hand as he heard two screams of pain from the two jackals with guns. Glocks, he assumed. He saw more movement out of the corner of his eye and fired gain, this time hitting a young-looking wolf, who swore as he dropped limp like a rag doll. 

A cry of pain came from next to Kion and he saw Sonic clutching his shoulder as blood seeped through the wound. Sonic snarled at his attacker and clawed at the jackal's face. The jackal screamed and went down in pain before Kion put him down permanently with two shots, one to the groin and one to the forehead. 

"We need to get you out of here," Kion said, half-carrying, half-dragging Sonic as he fired back at them as they ducked inside a doorway. "I know who we need to take you to." He looked out of the broken window of the ruined flat they had ducked in to. The gunfire had ceased and the gang members (at least Kion was pretty sure they were part of a gang) had disappear3, perhaps assuming the two of them were dead or would soon be. Either way, the coast was clear and him and Sonic walked/hobbled to the flat across from them, where Kion banged on the wooden door. 

"Rotor," growled Kion. "Open then hell up. It's me, Kion." A small slot opened up and the walrus's  eyes glared out at the two. The walrus sighed and his eyes darted left and right before sighing. "Okay, get in here." 

Kion quickly moved Sonic inside with the help of Sonic and Rotor. The purple walrus appeared to have outgrown the gut he used to have. Then again, it had been two years. The walrus nodded at Kion and the two of them laid Sonic down on a disheveled-looking cot. Rotor grabbed a small rag towel and some medical supplies from the small kitchen next to whatever room the trio was in. He grabbed the rag and stuffed it unceremoniously into Sonic's mouth. Then he washed his supplies and moved to Sonic. 

"This is gonna hurt," he warned. Sonic slowly nodded, his eyes watering from the pain. Rotor reached in with the tweezers and grabbed the bullet. Sonic screamed, a blood-curdling, inhumane scream that Kion wished he had never heard and would never hear again. He winced and helped Rotor to stabilize Sonic as the hedgehog thrashed around, flailing everywhere. 

Finally the bullet was out, covered in blood. Sonic appeared to be drifting into unconsciousness as Kion and Rotor watched. Then a knock sounded at the door.

"Police! Open up!" came a loud and demanding voice from the other side. "We know you're in there, now come out with your hands up!" 

"Fuck!" Rotor hissed. He looked at Sonic. "My motorcycle and sidecar are in the back. Take 'em and get the hell out of here." Kion nodded, and Rotor helped him carry the poor hedgehog to  the motorcycle before gently setting him in the sidecar. Kion climbed on. 

"What are you gonna do, Rotor?" he asked. Rotor chuckled. 

"I'm gonna go give them hell." he said with a grin, pulling a pistol of his pocket. He gave Kion a solemn salute, which the sad lion returned, then quickly moved to the front, where the sound of breaking wood and glass started to sound as the cops tried to force their way in. Kion revved the engine and drove out of the small garage back onto the street, driving away from the cops and their cars and heading deeper into Pride Rock.