Part 7

Over the next few days, Mary let her mother fawn and fuss over just as any mother would after the betrothal of her eldest daughter. They discussed everything from the dress to the guests to the honeymoon (but this was a subject Mary preferred to avoid, at least with her mother). On a few occasions, if the subject of the wedding was brought up when Lady Bentley was within earshot, the woman would interject, but this was often flattened by either Margaret or Mrs Adams, who would not let Lady Bentley have any influence over Mary.

One day, Mr Adams, Lord Bentley and the Colonel set out to Canterbury to discuss a wedding date with the archbishop. Mary would marry the Colonel in that very cathedral. She waited anxiously for them to return home with the news.

Ephraim came into the parlour where Margaret and Mary were and told them the date of the wedding was set at September the 15th, and that invitations would go out in a month.

After Mrs Adams and the girls had been at the manor for a week, they returned home, and Mr Adams, satisfied that the most urgent details were settled, returned with them, leaving Frank (who was thoroughly enjoying his new found friendship with his future brother-in-law) and Mary.

At last the time came for Mary to be introduced to people in the Bentley social circle, and more specifically Ephraim's circle, which included his Brigadier, General Officer, and his Lieutenant Colonel.

The Lieutenant Colonel and the Brigadier were invited to dinner on the same evening. With his father gone, Frank felt comfortable to get excited about meeting military men without being pressured into following their footsteps. Mary, on the other hand, was afraid she might be terribly intimidated by them, but put on her bravest face on the day of their arrival.

Ephraim, Frank, Margaret and Mary gathered around for cards in the drawing room.

"I wonder if the Brigadier will want to play cards," Frank said.

Ephraim laughed. "I'm not sure about that, but if you moisten him up with liquor you might just pull that off, Frank."

Margaret looked up from her hand. "Have I met the Lieutenant Colonel before, Ephraim?"

Ephraim frowned in thought. "I don't think so. Neither of them have ever been to the Manor before."

"I thought I remembered meeting him at a ball or party once." She made a face. "Not that I was ever allowed to many of those."

"Oh, cheer up, Margaret," Mary said. "You're winning the game."

Margaret grinned. "Have you been studying my cards, Mary?"

Margaret did win the game, and shortly after they began the second round, the housekeeper came to the door.

"Brigadier Flinders, Mrs Flinders and Lieutenant Colonel Woodley." She announced, then withdraw.

In came two men in red with chests full of medals, and a woman with a feather in her hair and a fine gown. The Brigadier was a fit-looking man with a wrinkled, tanned face and a very generous beard. The Lieutenant Colonel was younger, but more round in the stomach and his face was much smoother. Mrs Flinders had less wrinkles than her husband, but Mary felt instantly comfortable with her.

She stood, as did the others, and smiled, suddenly feeling her nerves vanish. She curtsied, and then Ephraim moved over, gesturing for them to come in.

"Flinders! Woodley, good to see you. It's been a few weeks." He took Mrs Flinders' hand and hovered his lips over her fingers before letting go. "Mrs Flinders, I hope you are well."

"Very well, thank you, Colonel. It is a great pleasure to see you again. It was a wonderful ball the other week. It's a shame we didn't get the chance to speak to you." Mrs Flinders smiled at Mary. "You seemed too occupied with something else."