Part 8

Flinders left with his wife and Woodley, as well as Ephraim's promise to meet them at the camp the next day, with rosy cheeks and a full stomach. Mary, Margaret and Ephraim stayed up musing about the wonderful evening they'd had, despite Lady Bentley reigning on their parade during the dinner conversation and Lord Bentley stealing his share of the attention too. Mary snuggled into bed, content with the life laid out before her. She had a new friend, Mrs Flinders, and each day she and Ephraim grew more comfortable and relaxed with each other and with their plans. September seemed a whole millennium away, but it did not matter to her when she married, for in that moment she was perfectly content.

The next morning at breakfast, Margaret was in a particularly good mood, so there was no squabble between her and Lady Bentley at all. Frank spoke non-stop about Brigadier Flinders and Lieutenant Colonel Woodley.

At one point, Ephraim looked up and said, "Mary, would you accompany me on a walk this morning?"

Mary looked up, supressing the colour that wished to rise in her cheeks. "Of course."

He smiled and returned to his bacon.

Off they set after breakfast, Mary in her favourite bonnet, and Ephraim in his bright red uniform. They walked arm in arm along the road, admiring the nature around them. Ephraim pointed out birds, telling Mary their names and interesting things about the particular kind. Mary pointed his eyes to interesting clouds or the odd rabbit that moved through the grass.

They stopped at an old, twisted tree and sat beneath it in the shade.

"Would you like me to write to you while I am away, Mary?" he asked.

She looked at him. "Of course I would."

"I am rather looking forward to receiving your letters. We are to be married in less than two months, but I feel as though I do not know you very well at all."

She smiled. "Never mind. All is revealed after the bells ring." She saw his confused expression. "That's my mother's famous saying about marriage."

He laughed. "How very thrilling."

They gazed about, and Ephraim played with a blade of grass. "I am glad to be marrying into your family, Mary. They are so much more congenial than mine."

Mary shook her head. "The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it? Surely you must know that all families have issues of one form or another."

"Oh, I know all families have issues," he said. "It's just that my family seems to have so many of them."

Mary laughed.

"You have such a cheery laugh, Mary. I should make you laugh more often."

"You will be tired of it within a few months, I am sure of it."

"No, I beg to differ."

"Then differ."

He smiled, then looked at her and his face sobered. "I leave tonight, Mary. The next time I see you, you will be walking down the aisle of Canterbury Cathedral and we'll get married."

She looked at her hands. "It will be rather precarious around here without you."

"What do you mean?"

"You have such a protective force about you. You bring joy and security to the manor."

"I cannot bring joy and security to a building."

"Well, to the family."

"I doubt that."

"To me."

He looked at her. She looked away, but he reached for her hand. She let him enfold it in his.

"I am glad my father chose you for my bride, Mary."

"As am I."

He smiled, his eyes glittering in the sunshine. She smiled back, and then he stood, lifting her to her feet.

"I hope I don't drive you mad," he said. "When we are married, I mean. I am not always a joy."

She laughed. "That is only human, Ephraim. I can guarantee I will not always be a joy to have, either."

"I don't believe it," he said playfully. "I don't believe you've ever bothered anyone in your life."

She smiled. "All is revealed after the bells ring."

Several hours later, they all stood out the front of the manor, saying their last goodbyes until September the 15th. Ephraim and Frank seemed to talk forever while everyone else waited to say goodbye, until at last Margaret said, "Oh, come on, Ephraim, or we'll still be standing here waiting on your wedding night."

Ephraim smiled. "Will you miss me dreadfully, Margaret?"

She shook her head and then stepped forward to embrace him. He shook hands with his father and nodded goodbye to Lady Bentley, then came to Mary.

"I will write as soon as I arrive," he told her.

"Have a safe journey," she said.

"I will."

They stared at each other for a moment, not knowing what to do. Then he snatched up her hand and kissed it. His lips were removed as soon as they were pressed to her fingers, but the tenderness that swelled within her was unmatched. She waved over and over again as he drove off. Six weeks, she thought. Six weeks without him.

Margaret came up beside her. "Finally, it's just you and me."

Mary could not bring herself to smile.

"Why, Mary. You look positively heartbroken."

At this, she could smile. "Not heartbroken," she said, but then lowered her voice and turned to Margaret. "I had no idea I would miss him this much."

Margaret's smile vanished. "Do you love him?"

Mary frowned. "I really have no idea about that either. But now I am filled with the most powerful, sudden urge to run after the carriage and stop him from leaving."

"You do. You do love him."

"Hush. Stop talking about love. I just don't want him to leave, that's all."

"Neither do I, believe me."

"Margaret, I wish I had told them I did not want him to go."

"But it's his duty, Mary. He had to go."

"But not so soon."

"You love him," Margaret said, and went inside.