Part 12

In the nursery, Daniel was fast asleep. She moved over to his cot, and her heart sank when she saw his cheeks stained with tears. He had been crying for her, and she had not been there. But now, at least, he would have both his parents. He would meet his father. He would be happy.

She scooped him up in her arms and kissed him. He woke slowly, and when he saw who it was he draped himself around her.

"Mummy," he sighed, comforted.

"Come along, my darling," she whispered. "We're going home."

She sat him on the bed and he relaxed back into her pillow. As she pulled out a case, she quietly began opening drawers and cupboards, putting in all that would fit. She put Ephraim's old letters, her journal, and the sketch of Daniel when he was a newborn. She put in some jewellery and her brush, and her favourite hat. When she was done, she lifted Daniel into her arms and kissed his cheek.

"Daniel, we're going to our new home now. You're going to be Lachlan now."

"What?" He asked, but it did not matter. She left the nursery and put the case down in the hallway.

Her parents' door was marginally open. She went in.

At the end of the bed, she moved their feet. Mrs Adams kicked and Mr Adams did not feel it. She patted their legs.

"Oh, hello, dear," Mrs Adams said. "What is it?"

"I am leaving."

Within a minute, the door was closed and both her parents were sitting upright, listening wide awake.

"Ephraim was at the ball. We are going to Scotland under a different name. I will not tell you the name, for everyone's sake. Please tell no one else. He is divorcing Lady Bentley and we are to be married in Scotland. We will buy land for a farm and he will completely renounce his title."

They were stunned and quiet. "When was all this planned?"

"Early this morning. He is returning very soon to pick me up and we are leaving."

"Mary! How can you do this to us!"

"My dear, how can you say that? She is reconciled to her husband. This is the only way."

"But to rush off first thing with a moment's notice."

"It must be this way, mother."

"You are too young and naïve to know what you are doing."

"I am doing what is right for the happiness of my son and me."

"Will you visit us?"

"Of course. Only do not breathe a word to anyone. Tell all who ask - even Frank and the girls - that I have gone to stay with an elderly couple in the Lake District."

"By what name?"

"I don't know, they are imaginary. What is a common name - Smith. An elderly couple by the name of Smith."

"So suddenly?"

"Yes."

"And if they ask why you and the Colonel happened to disappear at the same time?"

"Say you do not know - you have not spoken to him in two years."

"Very well."

"Now kiss your grandchild goodbye, I think I hear Ephraim."

Daniel crawled into their arms and kissed them, and then Mary took him and the case and hurried downstairs. When she opened the door, Ephraim was there.

"Oh, Rosemary, you are a marvel."

He saw Daniel and froze. "Here," he said, "let me take him."

Wide-eyed, the boy passed from his mother's arms to his father's. Ephraim held him tenderly.

"Hello, Lachlan."

Mary put the case in the back, by Ephraim's and they climbed in.

"From now on," he said. "We are John and Rosemary Watson. I have brought the papers of divorce with me, so that I may post them as soon as we stop in York. In Scotland, we will go straight to Gretna and be married in the Old Parish Church under our new names."

"What shall we do with Lachlan?"

He smiled when she used the new name. "We shall tell the minister he is my son, and that I am a widower."

"But he will be shy around you."

"Then you shall be a widow to Lachlan's father - Mr James. . . Morris."

"Fine."

"And I shall buy the first piece of land and house in Dunwich."

"Are you familiar with that town?"

"Yes. As a child. It will be perfect."