FIVE

I hastily stepped out of the shower, wrapping myself in a silk robe. I didn't bother getting dressed because nothing about my body was new to my associates. I left the privacy of my bathroom and motioned towards the staircase of my safehouse.

The longest of my robe nearly led me to trip as I neared the ending of the stairs. I made my way to the door, my footsteps reverberating throughout the spacious house. Since only my soldiers were staying here, I was curious as to who else would have been present at the headquarters thus late at night. I drew my robe's knot tight and opened the door, but to my surprise, no one was there to greet me. Instead, a package that was resting on the welcome carpet caught my eye. I called Noel, the security guy who was stationed in my driveway, over so that he could inspect inside the box for me since I suspected it could have been threatening.

Given that it was Noel's responsibility to keep me safe as well as that I was unsure of what was within the box, I requested him to open it. He decided to carry the box inside with caution and I roughly stalled in my tracks behind him when I recognized a blood stain dried on the cardboard of the box. The rhythm of my heart beat instantaneously increased before becoming more vigilant. As if there were an elephant in the room, we approached the living room in hush. He picked up a freshly sharpened knife from my collection of cutleries near the kitchen and positioned the stained box on the table.

I observed as he forced the blade all the halfway into the box before gliding it against the entrance to create an opening. I rapidly rose my palm to my nose in revulsion as the foul stench of fish dominated the air and filled my nostrils. Due to how seriously Noel took his position as a soldier for my criminal organization, he made every effort to avoid coming across as disgusted which impressed me.

Noel succeeded in opening the box without too much of a dramatic response, I stared in disbelief. Although the box was coated in blood, what was inside made my stomach turn. Within laid a dead fish that had a visible bullet jammed into its little mouth. I swallowed the lump of odd dread that was developing in my throat at the sight of the box. The fact that someone was audacious enough to threaten me somewhat alarmed me. The fish was obviously a threat, warning me that I would either be swimming with the fishes or end up with a bullet in my mouth.

As I struggled to speak, my palm continued to block the smell. I declared, my veins seething with wrath and disdain, "A war is about to start." I was concerned about this threat; no organization should be aware of the location of my safehouse. "Get the box examined at the headquarters now; and I want you to deliver a warning to every Don that the person who sent me such a threat will be a dead man before the sun rises."

"Have the security at the garage get the car ready, we're going to the headquarters so you can get someone to examine into the threat," I spoke as I strolled out of the living room and toward the stairs. I did not wait for Noel's response because of how dissatisfied I was. I swiftly raised up the stairs and entered my bedroom, motioning to my dresser to take out a pair of leggings and a simple v-neck top from the drawer. I opened the second drawer, where my lingerie was stored, and pulled the handgun concealed from behind the clothes.

I left my room without trying to tidy up the mess since I was in a rush, and as I did so, my stomach continued to twist with an extraordinary level of uneasiness. I hurried down the stairs while technically sliding on my clothing then slipping my pistol inside the waistband of my leggings. I only grabbed my shoes before dashing directly to the garage to meet Noel, who was waiting for me there with the door to the car wide open and an AK rifle in his hand.

_____

The journey to the headquarters was silent, which irritated me even more. When we arrived to the headquarters, I climbed out of the car and hurried inside without waiting for Noel to guard after me. The unsanitary box with the dead fish was carried by the associates who were on standby at my door. My men's focus switched to me as I halted as soon as we entered. God, I loved that. I purposefully coughed to silence the idiots who were still talking; I then started talking as soon as they stopped.

"The organization has been threatened, but I am unsure of who issued the threat," I further said, hesitating for a bit. "I was threatened with a dead fish served as a warning that I would be swimming with fishes, as the saying goes," All of the voices in the room began to resound, and I could tell that they were all equally astonished. I flashed them all the death glare, urging them to let me finish which they did. I would find out whether the threat had been delivered to me by a traitor in my organization. I explained, glancing at the bunch of companions in front of me, "What concerned me was that they knew the location of the safehouse; I  want you to examine the threat carefully and see which mob's bullet is in the mouth of the fish."

"I want this whole shit solved by nighttime, understood?" Everyone nodded in agreement before I turned to face Noel. I left the headquarters with Noel as soon as everyone understood what I ordered then headed back to the car.

I leaned back in the car after entering and released a frustrated sigh. We drove back to the safehouse, all expecting that this would be resolved by tonight and that there would be repercussions if it wasn't. After what seemed like an eternity, we arrived back at the house. When I stepped out of the car, I was greeted with yet another surprise.

___________________________

𝐀𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐅𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑 !! I AM SO SORRY!

Stay put for next chapter!! I really loved this one!🤍🤍