Chapter 2 | Home At Last

NYX MANSON

THE THREE MEN whisper in their mother tongue, Italian, fully distracted from my presence. They have been talking for a while now, so I might have a chance to make a run for it.

I move my foot back in an attempt to run away, but they notice my subtle movement within a second and stop whispering.

They bring their attention back to me and I almost fall over due to how sharp and heavy their gazes are. “I wouldn’t do that,” the man in the navy warns while narrowing his eyes at me.

The three men send a glacial glare at me, and I swallow my lump of fear. “You run, we’ll catch you, and maybe kill you. You want to risk it?” The man with the MP5 asks. I quickly shake my head. “Smart girl,” he chuckles.

He gets back to whispering with his two his killer buddies, and I stay motionless. Why do they even want to take me home? I’m just some random girl… who just walked into a murder scene.

Shit.

“Time to go home, Nyx,” the man in the navy chirps. I nod with a fake smile stretched onto my face. “Drop the fake smile,” he groans, and my smile immediately morphs into a distressed lip quiver.

I stare at them, waiting for them to come to me so we can get to walking, but they stay put. “We are not walking, so come here, now,” he demands while waving his hand that’s clutching the gun.

I move my feet as fast as I can in these stupid heels and stand in front of him, fear probably shining like a damn crystal in my eyes. He points to the side, and my eyes follow his finger. My eyes land on a black Jeep hidden in the darkness.

The man with the MP5 pulls the back door open and turns to look at me. “Get in,” he commands, and I quickly scurry to the car. I hop into the backseat of the car and slide to the middle of the seat. He closes the door and opens the door for the passenger seat for himself.

The man in the navy suit climbs in on the driver’s side, leaving the only available space for the villain in the back… with me.

Fuck.

The door to my left opens, and my eyes snap down to a body laying in a pool of blood. He steps on the body, and the man on the ground groans out in pain. I want to say something about it, but choose to keep quiet because I can easily end up like the man on the ground.

These three are well-respected men in our community. I now fully understand why no one ever utters a cruel word about them, at least not when they’re around to hear.

I’ve seen them before, in a few tabloids and whatnot, but besides the very few articles about them, they keep to themselves most of the time. They are private men and keep their family business and their own out of the media.

The articles I read were short and lacked any personal information. There weren’t even clear pictures of them. They don’t have a social media presence in any sense, so they are hard men to find.

But I am a genius with computers, and it only took a few searches and scrolls on the dark web to find out a bit more about these men. I’m a curious girl, and I know I shouldn’t have looked them up, but their mysterious demeanour was too intriguing to leave alone.