Chapter 6 | An Object

NYX MANSON

QUIET MINUTES PASS as we all gawk at each other, no one willing to cough up a response. I feel my heart beating against my ribcage, threatening to rip through.

“Fine,” Riccardo breaks the silence. The tall man stands from his seat, stalking closer to Cameron, who just stares at him with wide eyes. 

“Run,” I warn. Cameron heeds the warning and tries to flee, but it’s too late for him.

“Too slow,” Riccardo chuckles darkly as he grabs the collar of Cameron’s shirt. “And too weak,” he mutters with a sinister smirk.

We all watch, not saying a single word, as he drives his knee into Cameron’s stomach, slamming the oxygen out of him. Cameron wheezes, but Riccardo does not care as he drives his fist into his stomach, knocking him off his feet.

Riccardo looks over his shoulder, his smirk still etched onto his face, and his eyes now dark with an emotion I can’t decipher. He looks back at Cameron, who tries to get up, and I step forward to help him, but Lorenzo leans over and gently grabs my wrist.

“I hate men who touch women without their permission,” Riccardo grits before burying his foot in Cameron’s jaw, the lights in his eyes shutting off.

Lorenzo releases my wrist and settles back in his seat, a smile on his face. “Back to our meeting,” he says as Riccardo sits back down.

It takes a moment, but I look away from Cameron’s limp figure on the floor. “My father’s storage facilities are not up for your use,” I hiss at the cruel men sitting in front of my father and I.

The two men laugh and shake their heads, confusing me. “He doesn’t have much of a choice. He owes us,” Lorenzo laughs while throwing a grey file onto the desk.

My father reaches to pick the file up, but I grab it off the desk before he can. I flip through the pages, skimming through the information printed on the white pages.

“Dad... why didn’t you tell me you went bankrupt?” I lift my eyes from the stack of financial documents.

My father gives me a sad smile. “Cinnamon bun, I didn’t want you to worry,” he reasons, but him going bankrupt doesn’t worry me. The fact that he seeked help from the Ricci and Martinelli family worries me.

He owes the two most powerful families in the city. He owes two families that sit at the top of one of the most powerful criminal organisations in the world.

“So I think it’s best if his payment to us is in the form of the use of his storage facilities,” Lorenzo concludes with a smile.

I throw the file onto the desk and glare at them. “It’s for something illegal, right? Isn’t it?” I lose my already flattering grip on my emotions and my voice’s volume.

“Don’t say that,” my father scolds, and I look down at the floor like a child who has been caught stealing sweets. “Sorry about my daughter,” he nervously says while looking back at the men.

“No harm, Marcus,” Riccardo brushes it off with a nod of his head. “Nyx—”

”You know my daughter’s name?” My father harshly cuts Riccardo off.