Chapter 11 | Miss Manson

NYX MANSON

ANGELO QUICKLY CLIMBS out of the car just so he can open the door for me. I thank him with the brightest smile I can muster, and he returns the gesture with a simple head nod, no smile.  

I jump out of the beautiful car and stand in front of Angelo as he closes the door for me. Nicola climbs out of the driver’s seat and stands beside Angelo.

The two men stare down at me, waiting for me to do something, so I awkwardly point to the grocery store.

“Let’s get going,” I mutter, barely audibly, and I don’t even wait for a response as I scurry my way to the store as quick as my legs can carry me. Though I moved so fast, it only takes three seconds before I feel their presence behind me.

Entering the store, I grab a trolley from the side and begin to push it forward. I can feel people staring at me. I softly swallow as I look around the space at the people who stare. Their eyes are more focused on the two large, intimidating looking men behind me.

I guess bringing two Mafia men to a local grocery will attract a lot of attention.

I pull my grocery list out from my pocket and fold it into three parts, making sure I’m not folding over any words. I unfold the slip of paper and tear up the three folded sections.

“Take this,” I say while handing a piece of my grocery list to Angelo and the other to Nicola. They stare at the pieces of paper for a while, reading over my short grocery list before looking up at me.

“Can I say something about this, Miss Manson?” I nod. Angelo sighs. “I don't think this is enough food for you,” he gives me his thoughts while looking down at the piece of paper in his hand.

“I don’t eat a lot, and I don’t cook dinner for anyone but myself, so I find no use in buying a lot of food,” I simply explain with a shrug of my shoulders.

“This is not healthy, Miss Manson. You need to eat more,” Angelo worries, and I narrow my eyes at him. “Sorry for intruding, Miss Manson,” he quickly apologises when he notices my look.

I sigh and push the trolley forward. “Just go get what is on the list and meet me by the candy isle when you are done, please,” I say before walking away.

It’s my choice not to eat as much as everyone else, and I don’t like it when people try to tell me how to eat.

I look down to my piece of paper and see that I got most of my produce, which is actually not a lot. I quickly grab what’s on my list, barely taking ten minutes to gather the few items.

I make my way to the candy aisle where Angelo and Nicola are already standing with the rest of my food huddled up in their arms. They look less intimidating with a bunch of groceries and snacks stuffed against their chests.

“That was quick,” I laugh as I approach the men, pushing my barely food contained trolley in front of me.

They dumped the food items into the trolley. Nicola and Angelo also dropped a few extra items I know for a fact that weren't on my list. “Let’s go,” I say, choosing not to say a word about the extra food.

“You don’t want any form of sugar?” Nicola playfully asks while holding up a bag of cookies. I softly laugh and hold my hand out to him. He places the bag of cookies in my hand and smiles a little.