4: The 107th

Photo above made by KamiNoKitsune on pinterest

Photo above made by KamiNoKitsune on pinterest. Antiquest on wattpad. Thank you so much.

---------------------------

Bucky and Tommo woke up a lot earlier than they usually would so that they wouldn't miss their train. The train would take them to the docks, they would get a boat all they way to England. It was a dangerous journey considering that the Germans had torpedo submarines. This thought scared Tommo, but he would never admit it. He had to make sure that people thought he was very brave. Especially Buck.

After they had taken the girls dancing the night before, the brothers came straight back home so they could pack what they needed. They had to be prepared.

Becca was the first to cry when Tommo and Bucky walked down in their uniforms. She hated her brothers for what they were doing. Why did they have to leave? She hoped that Bucky wouldn't try anything but she knew Tommo was reckless with everything. School, relationships, the law. She prayed that he would be responsible for once in his life and keep himself out of trouble. She didn't really trust Bucky either if she was being completely honest. Why did they have to be so alike? If one of them didn't return, she wasn't sure if she could deal with it. She needed her older brothers like she needs oxygen. She couldn't live without them. When she was down they would build her up and be the glue that held her up until she could walk on her own again. The thought of losing them to war broke her, made her sick to her stomach. But the one thing that she did know is that they would stick together no matter what.

Winifred was broken to the point she could barely speak. She had already lost her husband and she didn't want to lose her sons as well. Her kids meant the world to her. They had helped out when she needed it. They all tried their bests with what they had. She loved them all to bits.

It was a very emotional goodbye and Tommo and Bucky felt very guilty but they had no choice anymore. It was done. Becca made them promise to write back and Mama made them promise to look after each other. They both promised, picked up the cookies Mama had made for the journey, hugged one last time and stepped out the door.

---------------------------

The walk to the station was the longest of Tommo's life. Was it too late to just go back to his life that he was leaving behind?

"Tommo?" Bucky asked.

Tommo looked at his brother and nodded to indicate that he was listening.

"You think we're doing the right thing?"

"I'm almost certain," Tommo said smiling. It wasn't the most reassuring thing that he could've said but it was the truth. He had his doubts but he had to push them aside for now.

"What do you think, Buck?"

Bucky thought for a moment. "Well someone's gotta win this damn war, why not us?"