39 | The Resistance

"You mean, the dragons? Do you think the dragons are hunting you?" asked Wil.

"Dragons?"

"I just heard other people living here talking about their daily lives when dragons begin to act aggressive every time the two moons are on their new moon state," Wil added. "Dragon attacks are normal here, Cithara."

Alastair seemed to not hear what Wil had spoken. His eyes were wandering around the area like he was looking for something.

At the time Cithara heard Wil's statement, her trust in the young lad who healed her started to slowly fade away. After all, he was still a stranger that needed to be looked at.

"Luckily, no one got hurt!" They heard someone in the room speak.

"Before the next night comes tomorrow, I'm sure this can be fixed again. Let's just hope that the dragons are gone and went to other places that are far from here," another one added.

"Dragons, huh?" she sighed, peering at the man behind her.

"There are a lot of visitors here tonight. Do you think they are from another kingdom or perchance from another nation?" She heard someone speak to another.

"Wil, please, we... we have to go," Cithara whispered.

"But how about Sefira?" Wil whispered back.

"I guess we just have to go back to where we first met her," she replied.

"But," Wil added, looking at Alastair, who was still unaware of what they were saying to each other, "how about him?"

Cithara sighed, hoping that what she would choose would be the right decision for her and Wil. "He's... He's crazy," she replied. "Perhaps... P- Perhaps we should leave him here. And you know what, I guess we have to leave before he sees us."

The two grabbed their things for the road and immediately fled toward the shores to search for Sefira. However, as they reached the watchtower, the lady was no longer there.

Far beyond the Empire came Sefira riding with her animagae as they rode towards the base of the highest volcano on Mithrin, which was inactive for a thousand years. She was just heading back to her master's house and not just an ordinary one. She went back to a glorious palace filled with gold, silver, and many other minerals.

The palace was made of concrete, and the wealth of the Empire could be seen by the huge statues of the ancient emperors that stood in the wide garden at the front of the palace.

As she walked on the path to enter the fortress, the silver door opened up, followed by the scene of seven young men standing in front of her.

"What do you want?" she asked without even dropping a gaze to any of them.

"You survived! What a surprise," Nedd, the second oldest among them all spoke sarcastically.

"Get ready to face our Father," Ron, the third oldest, added.

"Where is he anyway?" Sefira asked.

"He's in the throne room waiting for you," the oldest answered, "Be careful because he just received the terrible news that he wants to forget."

"Also, mind your manners!" the other one shouted.

Sefira went off towards where the emperor was. There, in the throne room, she saw a majestic sight that concealed the anger that she would soon encounter.

"My Lord," she spoke as she kneeled in front of the Emperor on one knee to show her respect.

"Did you do what I told you to do?" asked the emperor who immediately turned his gaze towards her.

"Yes, You're Highness! A guard is now there and replaced me at my post. I -"

"Without any enemy entering our kingdom?" the emperor interrupted.

Sefira remembered Wil and Cithara, whom she knew came from one of their 'good' neighboring kingdom, Everdaile. "No enemies, You're Highness," she replied with a sudden nervousness in her voice.

"Alright," the emperor spoke.

Sefira stood up from the ground as she was about to tell him something that she had been yearning to ask. "So, Father's going to be alright?"

"Yes, he will be," answered the emperor, "as long as you paid your family's debt."

She was about to take a step backward when she recalled what happened earlier. "I have good news for you, You're Majesty!" she beamed.

"Is that about you being rich all of a sudden?"

"No, You're Highness," she grinned. "I just want to inform you that the future emperor of Everdaile came here and spoke that I am one of the Avallons!"

"Avallons, really?!" her master lilted. "You might just be dreaming. Avallons are just for elves. The deities don't trust us enough to become a hero in Enchantria!"

"But, the ancient rulers chose me! I had the sacred mark... before... before those creatures came and destroyed that spherical ball," Sefira explained.

"As you said, 'had'! You are just a weak Mithrian, a weak Aragona," the emperor jested. "If there's anyone in this empire who will be chosen, then it should be one of my princes."

Sefira's tears began to well in his eyes until, however, she tried to conceal them. They just fell on their own like rain pouring towards the dry ground.

"I want to talk to the princes. You can now go to wherever you want to be," said the emperor.

After ordering the servants to fetch the seven, they immediately went to the throne room with Sefira remaining still, standing by the door to listen secretly.

"Father, what did you do to Sefira?" Gregor, the fifth oldest, asked.

"That thief's daughter?" the emperor asked, seeming to have no care for Sefira. "Well, she just told me that she was chosen to be one of the new Avallons."

"Avallons? Aren't they a tradition for the elves only?" Ron asked.

"That's what I thought, too. Until I received a letter from one of our spies," the Emperor spoke. "Anyways, how are the tribes you were all assigned to lead? Do everyone participate and obey my orders?"

"Yes, Father," Nedd replied, "Everyone in the tribe of the dwarves obeys you."

"Every dragon pledges their services to you only," Ron added.

"Even the Aragonas like your ruling," Athos, the oldest among them, responded.

With his mind filled with rage and anger, the Emperor pushed himself away from his throne and stood in front of the seven. "Then why did one of my spies say to me that there was a resistance called the 'Free Men' who was opposing my rules!" he roared.

Hiding from the walls near the door, Sefira heard everything that was in their conversation. "I... I have to warn them as soon as possible!" she whispered as she fled towards Puma, who was waiting for her outside the window.

"Search for the members of the resistance! Leave them no mercy and make sure you show them what will happen to those who oppose me!" the king ordered to every soldier inside the room, together with the seven brothers.