9 | The Beginning of the End

True gold fears not the test of fire

– Traditional Chinese Proverb

•☽────✧˖°˖☆˖°˖✧────☾•

Startled and resigned to her fate, Cithara closed her eyes, bracing herself for the impending strike. However, amidst the chaos and imminent danger, a familiar voice pierced through the air, capturing her attention.

Cithara's eyes fluttered open, hope flickering within her. She turned her gaze towards the source of the voice, desperately seeking a glimmer of salvation in this dire situation.

'Cithara!'

'Cithara, wake up!'

'Cithara!!!'

As Cithara's eyes adjusted to her surroundings, she realized she was lying on a bed in a place that starkly contrasted with the nightmarish scene she had experienced moments ago.

"Did I...?" she began, her voice filled with uncertainty as she instinctively checked her body for any signs of injury. "Did I die?"

Her aunt Aja, with her wavy dark brown hair cascading down her shoulders and hazel eyes twinkling with warmth, sat in a chair beside Cithara's bed. She wore a flowing purple gown that complemented her regal presence, and a small tiara adorned her head, hinting at her noble lineage. As she gazed at her niece, a mixture of amusement and confusion danced in her eyes, and a soft chuckle escaped her lips, unsure of the exact nature of Cithara's words.

"No, my dear," Aja replied, a hint of amusement in her voice. "You didn't die. You had quite a vivid dream, it seems. You're safe and sound here."

"But I was... I was just attacked! They were about to kill me with their swords!" Cithara insisted, her voice filled with urgency and disbelief.

Aja's expression shifted, her amusement fading as she listened intently to Cithara's words. After a moment of contemplation, she spoke, trying to make sense of the situation.

"Oh! Perhaps it's due to the ripple effect caused by that accident that occurred about two hecreas (hours) from now," Aja mused, her tone tinged with a mix of concern and realization.

"Wait a second!" Cithara exclaimed, her voice filled with a mix of surprise and confusion, as she swiftly jumped off her bed. "Are you saying that it was all just a dream?"

"Yes, my dear," Aja replied, nodding gently. "It was merely a dream. And from what I've been informed by my guards, it seems you conducted another one of your little experiments," she added, raising an eyebrow in a playful manner.

"I... I did?" Cithara murmured, her mind swirling with fragments of memories, attempting to untangle the chaotic bubble of thoughts to discern what truly transpired.

After a few minutes of contemplation, Cithara's mind pieced together the unusual events that had transpired while she was collecting gems for her class.

"Where are Evreux and Seref?!" she exclaimed, her voice laced with concern as the memories of her dream flooded back. "Are they safe?"

Aja maintained a composed demeanor, concealing her true emotions from Cithara. "Thankfully, they are safe," she replied calmly. "The healers have discovered that when a gem is shattered, it releases a powerful energy that can be harnessed and stored within a magic container for future use."