An Unexpected Journey

Eithriel had awoken early the next morning, so early that it was still dark out

Eithriel had awoken early the next morning, so early that it was still dark out. And after getting dressed and making herself look descent she set out to find Gandalf. There was no telling where that man was, hopefully, he hadn't left yet. She went down to the empty breakfast hall where nobody but Julian sat eating a chunk of bread and some wine for a drink. The elf princess walked over to her human companion and sat beside him. "Good morning," Julian cheerfully said, smiling at Ethriel. "Morning'" she replied, yawning softly. "Have you seen Gandalf this morning? I intend to find him. I shall like to join in on this adventure he's taking" she told Julian who shook his head. "An adventure? Eithriel your father is going to kill you," he said in protest. "Not if he doesn't find out, which is why unless you intend to come along I'm going to need you to keep quiet,"  she said before getting up. "I suppose a journey might be fun, if you shall find Gandalf let me know what he says!" Julian said excitedly "Will do!" Eithriel responded as she walked out of the dining hall.

Eithriel was aimlessly walking around the palace when she saw both Gandalf and her father speaking in hushed tones along a bridge to one of the towers. She hid behind a wall and listened to the conversation. "Of course, I was going to tell you. I was waiting for this very chance." Gandalf said, walking along. "And really, I think you can trust that I know what I am doing." the wizard added. "Do you? That dragon has slept for 60 years. What will happen if your plan should fail, if you wake that beast?" her father questioned. Dragon? She was extremely interested now. "What if we succeed? If the Dwarves take back the mountain our defenses in the east will be strengthened." Gandalf responded.

Eithriel watched as her father sighed softly. "It is a dangerous move, Gandalf," he said. "It is also dangerous to do nothing. Oh, come, the throne of Erebor is Thorin's birthright. What is it you fear?" Gandalf asked. Elrond then thought for a moment before responding. "Have you forgotten? A strain of madness runs deep in that family. His grandfather lost his mind. His father succumbed to the same sickness. Can you swear Thorin Oakenshield will not also fall? Gandalf, these decisions do not rest with us alone. It is not up to you or me to redraw the map of Middle-earth. " her father replied. She could tell that now was not the time to ask about joining the adventure, which she now knew was a quest for the dwarves to reclaim Erebor.

She watched as they got further away and crept from behind the wall and followed, knowing this was a foolish idea, she was surely going to get caught but at this point, she didn't mind. "With or without our help, these Dwarves will march on the mountain. They're determined to reclaim their homeland. I do not believe Thorin Oakenshield feels that he is answerable to anyone. Nor, for that matter, am I." Gandalf said to the elf king. " It is not me you must answer to."  her father said, she stood behind a wall, close to where they were, and had finally seen what Gandalf was looking at. Lady Galadriel, Eithriel's grandmother. She was so graceful and full of beauty, Eithriel's mother and she looked so much alike it made the young elf princess miss her mother every time she saw her.