Into Mirkwood

It didn't take them very long to arrive on hoof, as soon as they came upon the edge of the woods they dismounted their horses, grabbing their belongings

It didn't take them very long to arrive on hoof, as soon as they came upon the edge of the woods they dismounted their horses, grabbing their belongings. Gandalf walked towards the path, looking back at the company, "here lies our path through Mirkwood." the Wizard spoke, Eithriel noticed the elven gate by the engravings on it, despite not caring much for the woodland elves she had to admit, the path was beautiful. "No sign of Orcs, luck is on our side." spoke one of the dwarves. Eithriel approached the woods, following behind Bilbo, and Julian followed behind her. "This forest feels...sick." said the Hobbit, looking around. "I feel it too, it's as if a disease lies upon it" Eithriel agreed, feeling uneasy with every step she took, coming closer to the path.

"Is there no way around it?" Bilbo asked Gandalf, shifting uncomfortably. Eithriel, who was normally brave, was also hoping there was some other way to get past the woods, however, Gandalf squashed those hopes. "Not unless we go two hundred miles north, or twice that distance south." said the Wizard. Eithriel looked back at Julian who seemed just as uneasy. Eithriel watched as Gandalf entered the woods, she, however, had stopped and waited for everyone to grab their belongings. As they began to set the horses free Gandalf emerged, last as one of the Dwarves was about the set his horse loose. "Not my horse! I need it," he announced, causing everyone to stop and look at him. "You're not leaving us?" Eithriel asked, he couldn't, not right now. What if they needed him? What if they got lost? All of these concerns ran through her brain. "I would not do this unless I had to," Gandalf replied, before leaning down to whisper something to Bilbo.

After Gandalf had finished his small conversation with Bilbo he made his way over to his horse, speaking to the group as he did so. "I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe, do not enter that mountain without me. This is not the Greenwood of old, there is a stream in the woods that carries the dark enchantment, do not touch the water. The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion, it'll seek to enter your mind and lead you astray." Gandalf warned. The more he spoke the more sick Eithriel began to feel, how the woodland elves were able to live in such conditions was beyond her. "Lead us astray? What does that mean?" asked Bilbo, a slight worry in his tone. Gandalf ignored Bilbo, "you must stay on the path, do not leave it. If you do, you'll never find it again. No matter what may come, stay on the path!" he scolded, and Eithriel nodded with understanding.

And with that, Gandalf rode off, away from the group. "Come on. We must reach the Mountain before Durin's day." Thorin demanded, everyone, following behind him into the woods. They made sure to stay on the path, Eithriel took this very seriously. She watched her feet, and with every step, she made sure there was a brick path beneath her. It didn't take long before they began complaining, "air! I need air" Julian announced as they all continued to walk. The air in the forest was heavy, almost suffocating. "My head is swimming" groaned one of the Dwarves. Soon, they found the bridge, unlucky for them, it was broken in half. How were they to get over it? It was right over that enchanted stream that Gandalf had warned them about. It didn't take long for Kili to point out some vines that lead across, before he was about to use them Thorin stopped him. "We send the elf first" he spoke, Eithriel was not amused. "Why me?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "You're the lightest person here, besides, aren't elves supposed to have great balance? Go on then." the king ordered.