Chapter 9: And they said chivalry is dead

[Ichinose POV]

I was currently at the empty student council, moving chairs and tables for the yearly renovations. Technically it's not my job, but something I willingly volunteered for. Turns out I was the only one who volunteered. Bummer.

"You sure you don't want me to stay longer Honami?" Nazuna asked, going through her backpack as she looked for her phone.

Nazuna Asahina was a second year who was not part of the student council, but would just come and go. Mainly cause she seemed to be good friends with the vice president: Nagumo senpai. Right now she's only here to keep me company. Which was nice of her.

"Yeah, I can handle it senpai." I just waved her off with a smile. "I'll text you after I'm done." 

"Got it. You be sure to go home before you drop dead."With her lovely parting words, she unlocked the door and opened it. I heard it click shut.

Placing the last chair in position, I sat down on it and stretched my limbs. I knew I shouldn't take a break, but my legs, feet, back, neck, arms, and everything in between were killing me. Moving stuff was not something I was used to.

Just as I felt myself drifting off, the front door opening and closing with a soft click jolted me awake. Thinking Nazuna senpai had left something behind, I tried to get up. But my legs didn't want to cooperate. 

"What did you forget senpai?" I asked, and it came out half as a groan and half as a whimper. 

Finding my fake boyfriend, Kiyotaka, just on the other side of the room was not the surprise I was expecting. At his unexpected appearance, I tried to come up with something to say, but I was completely tongue-tied. 

''Kiyotaka.''

He ran his fingers through one of the tables. His eyes only moved to me when he heard my voice.

Glancing up at him, I just kept staring. For several long seconds. The longer I looked, the deeper his brows dipped, which added this weird appeal to him that I shouldn't have noticed. He looked amazing when he frowned —which happened often, as I could attest to—and I was starting to like that expression on him more and more. He didn't need the frown to make him look all intense and broody, but it definitely worked in his favor.

"Honami?"

"Hmm?"

"What's wrong with you?"

Accepting the fact that I had long ago lost my mind since I couldn't stop thinking about how truly attractive he was, I chose to act like nothing was wrong and nodded. Flustered at being caught, I sprang up from my chair.

"I was taking a small b-break for a few minutes so I'm a little out of it, that's all. Uhm. . . W-Why are you here?"

''I was nearby so I thought I would come say hi.''

T-That's actually kinda sweet of him.

 ''Apparently, that's something a boyfriend would do, according to the internet that is.''

Never mind, not sweet.

"I see.'' Right, I keep forgetting, he's only doing this to get a sense of what it's like to be in a relationship. Not because he liked me to a certain degree that he would randomly pop up just to say hello. ''Wait, how did you even know I was here—"

''Your phone, it has a tracker on it. Every phone in this school does.''

''Wow.'' I blinked. ''What a totally not creepy fun fact.''