Weakest (2)

"Anya. Anya." Little paws were on me, shaking me awake. Opening one eye, then the other, I discovered a small blonde-haired boy named Peter, Anya's brother, kneeling on the bed next to me. He lacked her broad unattractive nose and though chubby-faced, proved to be a cute child. Anya had kept his picture in her pocket and told everyone who would listen how he would steal girls' hearts when he grew up.

Peter smiled as he held something in his hands, pushing it towards me with a slight nod. He slowly lifted his right hand, and out of the cave fluttered a white moth that placed its tiny legs on my head.

I screamed and swatted the insect away, then woke up, breathless and panting, sheets tangled around my legs and arms. I heard soft murmuring around me, and a blush warmed my face and ears as I closed my eyes and contemplated sleeping more. Stamped to my eyelids was the image of Anya's dead body with the hole in her forehead. Sweat cooled on my skin as I exhaled shakily. I wasn't the only one with night terrors here, so there was nothing to be embarrassed about.

Facing my fears, I sat up and met the gazes of the girls watching me. I hardened my face, hiding my emotions, and began to change into my uniform.

***

Breakfast was loud with the din of metal against glass and voices spilling on top of each other. The recent attacks from the mutants at the border were said to be hinting at something more, maybe a full-scale war.

"Everyone, eyes on me for a second." The voice belonged to Finley, Fred's second in command. A tall, lean young man with short glossy black hair. Though it went against our uniform policy, black studs dotted his ears. Finley used to try to threaten girls from our platoon into sleeping with him, but after a private conversation with Yolinda, he began to avoid us. Now, whenever he looked our way, his throat tightened with fear, and he quickly looked away.

Finn bent down and grabbed someone's collar, pulling them up till they stood on the table next to him. It was none other than Ivan. The younger boy stood unsteadily on the makeshift stage as Finn patted his back. Ivan's pale skin was covered in sweat. His eyes seemed dazed, and the lenses of his glasses were cracked. He swayed though there was no breeze, and Finn held Ivan's shoulders to keep him steady. Gold studs decorated Ivan's ears though he had worn none before; his ears were red and puffy, hinting that his new piercings might be infected.

Finn announced, "Ivan's going to strip and do a little dance for everyone. Aren't you, Ivan?"

Ivan nodded, and the rest of his platoon hooted and cheered.

Ivan didn't look like he could dance; he seemed better prepared to tumble into someone's lap. Red stained bandages covered his palms.

"You've got to be kidding me," Yolinda murmured, watching them over her shoulder.

Frederick made no attempt to stop Finn and reclined against the hard back of his seat, blowing bubbles with the help of a black wand. Though we were far apart, I felt Fred's weight pinning me down and inhaled the faintly metallic scent that had exited his pores. I felt the heat of his tongue grazing my nipples. I looked at my hands. How long would it take me to forget that incident?

Music began playing from a portable radio. People cheered as Ivan stripped, revealing his thin, feminine build.

A girl at another table laughed. "Look at his little dick. It's as big as my pinky."

I winced and stared at my plate, not touching my food.

Olivia sighed and spooned the scrambled eggs onto her bread, folding it in half to make a sandwich. She felt my gaze on her and returned it. Smiling, she lifted her pinky as if to say cheers and bit into her meal.