Lovers' Dance

***

***

The lower grids enjoyed a day of relish once per year. It was the only time the rules were relaxed, and minor infractions were ignored. Sima, Lance and I sat in a carriage drawn by two bicycles as we entered Grid T. We wore disguises to avoid drawing attention to ourselves. Sima had long white hair that complimented her dark skin and blue eyes, while Lance had gone for cropped, dark brown hair and the faintest shadow of a beard scattered across his jaw. He watched the crowd as people danced or tried street food, a slightly amused look in his eyes.

Clouds of smoke spilled across the sky, leaving soot on the buildings' windows. Ash touched my skin, and I brushed it off. In the distance, I saw the chimneys of textile companies residing in S-45 as they burnt fuel to power their machines.

I pointed them out to Lance, and he frowned beneath his mask. "Who owns them?" he asked, shouting to be heard over the clang of cymbals and drums.

"Erwin Sullivan of Bright Wear."

Lance nodded. "Might be better to go through Bella. Coming face-to-face with a sniper might kick some sense into him. And that way, we wouldn't have to go behind Father's back."

Lance clasped his hands behind his head and leaned against the cushioned seat. The cyclists rang their bells, scattering the revellers so we could pass.

"He's one of Bella's clients. Pays her pretty well to keep the poor out of his factories, so I doubt she would turn on him."

Sima tutted. "Since neither the government nor Bella will help them, the people here will have to fix it themselves."

"I don't think they know how bad it is for them. Their teachers don't reveal that these pollutants can cause cancer or lung disease. And the doctors who run environmental checks say it's perfectly safe to live here."

Lance sighed. "So, you want us to use the Prime Minister's seal to threaten this guy?"

"I want the people here to be able to breathe fresh air and have access to clean water."

"You're not exactly in our family's good books after flaunting your relationship with your girlfriend for everyone to see. If Father finds out...."

"I really don't need you to talk to me about inappropriate romances," I said, looking from him to Sima. "The people here worship the Prime Minister, and it's not like Erwin will have a reason to see the PM."

"He might talk to people, and words have a funny way of getting around."

The carriage stopped in front of Avah's building. She was waiting by the front steps with her friends, Brittney and Jun. I heard Brittney's voice in my ear, 'Break up with her before you ruin each other. Don't waste your lives over something like love that comes and goes at the drop of a coin.

Pushing her words from my mind, I told Lance, "We'll deal with Erwin first and the PM later. Besides, if this helps to lessen the pollution here, the inspector from the United World Order would be even more impressed with your family. Or do you plan on disappearing a city of two hundred and thirty-five thousand people like you did with those in U-grid?"