Chapter 12 - Kadir

Eporo - Itza

63rd day of Banem, year 146, Era of Ke'larri

The evening air was thick and humid. Sweat beaded on Kadir's nose and stuck to his underclothes as he and Maumbe made their way to the Sunsnake for another night of performances. Yiba perched on Maumbe's shoulder, two fists clenching tufts of his companion's hair for stability, occasionally chittering at passersby.

Along the crowded streets and alleys, homes and shops were being prepared for the transition to Jundiel. Anywhere else in Niveen, even the balmy shores of Giasi, Jundiel marked the subtle shift to the warmer, summer days. In Eporo, however, the days would only grow ever hotter and longer. The increasing hours of sunlight ushered in a month of festivals and celebrations, the first being the festival of Zeura, beginning in just over a week.

"If I can get Halla's favor again, the festival will be a great opportunity to sell at the Sunsnake. I can sing in front of the cart and you can-" Kadir started.

"Adalwa will probably have work for me then," Maumbe interrupted. His voice was soft and low, eyes fixed on the ground.

"Tell her you have something else to do."

"Nothing is more important than what she asks of me."

Kadir shot a sideways glance at Maumbe. Jaw hard. Fists balled.

"You can always stop," Kadir said gently, "Jun-Rada worships her. Let him handle all of her demands."

Maumbe huffed and shook his head.

"You don't understand. I want to do better. I don't want to do nothing with you forever," He said before storming ahead.

"Maumbe-" Kadir started, but he continued forward.

As they approached the Sunsnake, Kadir made to grab Maumbe's arm, but a sudden explosion of powerful energy stopped them both in their tracks. The hair on Kadir's arm stood on end and he felt a powerful surge before another explosion. A glowing green ball of energy burst over the tavern roof and a crowd gathered outside began to cheer.

"A magic show!" Maumbe exclaimed, running to the crowd.

A cascade of explosions. Purples, whites, and blues. One in the shape of a cat, then a dragon, and then... a bright blue monkey. Kadir scanned the crowd and spotted Zavarre, waving his hands over the crowd with bravado as sparkling streams emanated from his fingers. Hanging in the door of the tavern, Halla, face and nose flushed red, clapped and cheered him on.

Kadir quickly skirted around the edge of the audience and approached the door. Her eyes narrowed as she spotted him.

"Kadir, I thought I was clear last night," She groaned.

"That was not my fault!" he cried, indignant, "how was I to know Senator Rela would be here?"

"You announced when she entered the tavern and dedicated that lecherous song to her," she said, nose turned up in disgust.

"Everyone else had a lovely time," he huffed, crossing his arms, "she doesn't understand my art."

He dug his fingers into the sides of his shirt and met her gaze.

"People will get tired of light shows at some point." he gestured up as Zavarre launched a flock of pink glittering butterflies into the air before each of them exploded, "This is fun for a moment, but people want to be entertained by art that speaks to them. They want to laugh and cry in the same evening."

"That may be, but I have given you more chances than I give my own children, Kadir," Halla said, hands firm on her hips, "you are too unreliable."

Kadir looked over the crowd, faces lit by the cracks of bursting light. Drunken cheers and wide smiles as Yiba hopped from Maumbe's shoulder and darted around, trying to catch the falling glitter from every flash and pop. Even Maumbe stood in awe, smiling up at the colorful display. Kadir looked back to Halla, her expression unmoving. Without a word, he turned to leave, passing by Maumbe and tugging his arm.