WEIRD SCIENCE FAIR

"Hey, guys, whatcha doin'?" I ask. 

"Working on our project for the school science fair." Billy says. 

"Oh, my gosh! I love science fairs. They've got all the fun of homework mixed with the thrill of academic competition. That sounded a lot cooler in my head." Phoebe says. 

"I'm making a potato clock. Check it out." Nora says and uses her laser eyes to make French fries. 

"All you did was turn it into French fries." Phoebe says. 

"I know, I cant work on an empty stomach." Nora says. 

"So, Billy, what's your project?" I ask. 

"I'm making... These!" Billy says and puts his feet on the table. 

"Mop socks?" I ask. 

"So your gonna clean the floor with your feet?" Phoebe asks. 

"Hey, that works too!" Billy says. 

"Lets try it out." Nora says and pours some water on the floor and Billy mops. 

"Wow, that's way better than hairy foot puppets." Billy says. 

"Not bad, guys." Phoebe says. 

"Don't lie to them." I say and Phoebe rolls her eyes. 

"Just don't say science fair around Max. it stirs up bad memories." Phoebe says. 

"Just from saying science f--" Billy says buy me and Phoebe shush him.

 "Yes." I say. 

"Why? What'll happen." Nora asks. 

"Trust me, he'll totally freak." I say. 

"Well, now we have to do it." Billy says. 

"Yep." Nora says. 

"No." Phoebe says. 

"Science fair!" Billy and Nora yell. 

"Who said science fair--" Max says and slides through the wall. 

"Max, you okay?" I ask. 

"I'm fine." he says. 

"Worth it!" Billy and Nora yell and I go to help him.

"Sorry we said science fair, Max." Billy says after we get him inside and I sit another ice pack on the table. 

"Phoebe, and Lizzie told us to do it." Nora says. 

"I did not." Phoebe says. 

"Because I feel like being nice today, I won't hurt you, but watch your back. The last thing I wanted was for Max to hear those words. Now we have to listen to his bitter, long-winded st--" I say but Max interrupts me. 

"It was five years ago. Back in Metroburg, I was an idealistic fourth-grader dreaming of science fair glory. I built a device that can make anything ten times bigger. The other projects didn't stand a chance. Especially Phoebe's and except for Lizzie's of course. But when I turned on the grow-matic... I was humiliated. I saw my science fair dreams crash to the ground." Max says. 

"And who ended up winning?" Phoebe says. 

"Some undeserving nobody." Max says. 

"I won." Phoebe says. 

"That's what I said. What I didn't appreciate was how you rubbed your medal in my face." Max says. 

"You're exaggerating. What I did was this." Phoebe taunts Max and I use my powers to take the medal.