(19) sweet dreams are made of this

You barely manage to take your shoes off before Spencer grabs your hand and leads you to his sofa. Grinning, you follow him. He sits down and you climb onto him, straddling him.

He cradles your face, and you lean down to kiss him. He lets out a sigh and you let your hands wander up his arms to let them rest on the back of his neck. Spencer is kissing you slowly, and with an open mouth. It's already your new favorite thing in the world.

You let out small groans and sighs and it makes Spencer claw into your sides. The entire time, your heart is beating in your throat and your thoughts have to race to keep up with what's happening.

You only stop making out, when your lips are swollen, and you both need something to drink. Putting your arms around his waist and kissing the back of his neck, you follow Spencer into

the kitchen. It's smaller than yours and looks like it doesn't get used much.

You let go of him to drink the water he offers you. He looks at you, cheeks flushed, and waits until you put the glass down to pull you in for another kiss.

You smile against his lips and ask: "Can I see the rest of your apartment? Somehow, I don't really get past your living room."

Spencer lets out a chuckle: "Sure."

He leads you down the hallway: "Bathroom." He points at the half-open door.

Opening the last door, he says: "Bedroom."

Without hesitation, you enter and look around. It's nice. Lots of purple. You welcome the thought of spending some quality time in here.

Spencer stands in the doorway, observing you.

"I like it." You smile at him.

"Yeah?" He mirrors your smile and walks up to you.

"Hmh." You murmur and kiss him once more.

Then, you remember time exists, and take a look at the watch on your wrist. It's late; However, you have tomorrow off.

"Do you want to go to bed?" You ask Spencer, who followed your gaze.

You realize you never did this with him in a setting where neither of you was intoxicated.

Hand on your waist, he informs you: "I usually stay up past midnight and read."

You remember how serenely you fell asleep when he read to you. "What are you currently reading?"

"Anna Karenina. The Russian original."

You smile at him widely: "Would you read it out loud to me?"

ɤɤɤɤ ɤɤɤɤ ɤɤɤɤ

„Все счастливые семьи похожи друг на друга, каждая несчастливая семья несчастлива по-своему. Все смешалось в доме Облонских." Spencer starts the novel over for you.

You curl into his side, and he plays with your hair. He smells great and you truly enjoy feeling his body against yours.

Suddenly, he interrupts his reading to ask you: "Is it okay if I sleep close to you?"

Propping yourself up on your elbow, you grab the back of his neck to pull him down to your lips. You trace his lower lip with your index finger and tell him: "Yes, just try to avoid touching my back."

"Okay." He kisses you.

It feels so natural. Like it's the only logical thing to do. You realize that you wanted to do this for quite some time now. Maybe since the first time he spoke to you with that mellow voice. A voice so gentle that it gets pass all the panic, and fear, and anxiety, and makes you feel like your heart is whole again.

ɤɤɤɤ ɤɤɤɤ ɤɤɤɤ

Pure panic pumps through you. You try to run, but don't get anywhere. Your legs feel like they are made of jelly. It's dark and all you can hear is water dashing down the tunnel behind you. You're back in the sewers.

Someone calls after you. Your name echoes through the tunnel. When you turn your head to see who it is, a hand grabs your face. Your body jerks forwards and you lose your footing. Before you have the chance to curse, the same hand catches your arm and saves you from falling on your face.

You don't want the assassin to help you again. You want her to go away and leave you out of this. Whatever this is. You just want to get away.

When the hand lets go of you, you scramble backwards. Why is the brick floor suddenly soft? You feel like you take a step down and stumble away.

Suddenly, it's bright. You have to cover your eyes with one hand. It hurts, and you sink to the floor and brace yourself. They grab your arms, you try to shake them off, pushing them away by their face.

"Stop, hey, stop."

"Leave me alone!" You yell and finally manage to push them off you. You put your head between your knees and shield it with your arms.

"Don't touch me." Whimpering, you try to remember where you are.

"Em, look at me." Why are they using a pet name? The curiosity silences your panic just enough for you to lift your head.

Spencer. It's Spencer. You're on his floor. His face is distorted with fear. He is kneeling in front of you, carefully keeping his distance. You rub your face, then your legs as your eyes dart around the room. The bed looks exactly like it should after you blindly jumped out of it; blanket hanging down the side.

"I'm sorry." You whisper as you piece together what must have happened.

Your eyes snap back to Spencer who is worriedly observing you.

"Did I hurt you?"

"I'm fine." He shakes his head.

"I don't believe you."

He turns his head, revealing a scratch behind his ear.

You fucking lose it. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." You repeat while getting up.

"Emily, it's fine." Spencer tries to persuade you.

Collecting your clothes, you cannot bear to look at him any longer.

Sobbing silently, you collect your stuff.

"Emily." His voice is stern but quiet. "Don't go."

"Look what I did to you. This was a stupid idea. I'm sorry." You tell him, already in the living room.

Spencer follows you, observing your hectic movements.

"Em, I want to be with you."

That makes you whip your head around: "Then you must be fucking insane."

He shakes his head: "I don't show any behavioral patterns that would indicate that."

You let out a sad laugh.

"Please, explain it to me. All I can see, is that my friend is hurting, and I want to make it stop."

You stumble: "Your friend?"

Spencer's eyes widen when he realizes his slip.

"Please." He pleads.

You have to hold on to the couch and take a deep breath: "Every day my heart breaks a little more, and one day there will be nothing left of me. There will be nothing I have to offer you."

When you look up from the floor, you see that Spencer is crying. It intensifies your pain in ways you didn't think were possible. You shake your head: "Don't cry because of me. I'm not worth it."

His steps closer. When you let him come up to you, he grabs your face with both hands. He waits until you find the strength to look into his eyes before he says: "You are fucking indestructible. There is nothing, nothing that can break you. And you are worth everything there is to be worth of."

Your mind tries to process what he just said. Your eyes dart over his face, and you raise your hand to wipe away the tears that dripped down to his cheeks. Spencer stares you down until you nod.

"Will you try to believe me?" He eventually breaks the silence.

"I will try." You promise.