(34) From the Ashes

It was surprisingly easy to find a new job. Apparently, for some people, punching your boss in the face is a display of integrity. Since now your six months break from your duty at the DEA is officially declared as abduction and torture, it is seen as proof of your resilience. They appreciate your experience you gained by working at the DEA and the BAU. They also appreciate the work you've done overseas before.

Anyway, you got recruited within a week.

Spencer was understanding that you needed some time after your dramatic exit from the BAU.

You don't regret punching Hotchner. But no matter how strongly Spencer reacted to you doing it, you regret that he saw it. After all, Hotchner is as close to a father as it gets for him.

Closing the last box, you let out a loud sigh. Your clothes are in a suitcase and a backpack. The furniture stays in the apartment. That leaves your books. Which you are currently loading into the trunk of your car. You can't stay here any longer. After everything that went down. You have to put physical distance between you and all of that.

You purposefully prolong the drive to Spencer's apartment. He doesn't know yet that you were hired.

With the box full of books in your arms you climb up the stairs to his apartment.

Your heart almost jumps out of your chest when he opens the door.

"Hey." He gives you a warm smile. Pointing at the box, he asks: "What's that about?"

You press a kiss onto his lips and walk past him into the living room.

Putting the box down, you tell him: "I got a job."

"That's great! Where?"

"CIA."

"Oh, wow!" Spencer walks over and gives you a hug. You press your face into the crook of his neck.

"Congratulations." He whispers while caressing the back of your head.

"Thank you." You put your arms around him and hold him tight.

Slowly rocking back and forth, you ask: "How's work?"

"Weird." Spencer tells you and leans back to look at you. "The team misses you."

You raise your eyebrows: "I highly doubt that."

He shrugs his shoulders: "It's true."

Spencer sees the worry in your eyes and asks: "What's going on? Why did you bring your books?"

"I'm moving."

"Oh." He takes a step back. "Because of your new position?"

You nod. After a pause, you add: "Will you come with me? I'm sure they'll hire you on the spot."

Spencer looks at you and sits down on his sofa. Silently, he stares at the floor. Sitting down next to him, you observe his facial expressions.

"I never thought about working somewhere else."

"Even after what they did to you?"

He raises his gaze: "The BAU is the only thing I know."

You take his hand: "I'm sorry for how I acted. I didn't mean to let you down...I didn't plan on quitting my job like this and leaving you behind."

Spencer tilts his head: "You stood up for me."

"I made you think about if you should side with me or with Hotchner."

He shakes his head: "That was never a question."

"But he's basically your dad."

Spencer chuckles: "And you think I would side with my dad and not my girlfriend?"