(31) The Good, the Bad, the Living

All the way back to the office, you don't feel like you are even there. You don't feel your body. Hotchner says something a few times, but you don't understand it and don't care to ask.

After he parks the car, you get out and start to walk towards the entrance.

You just solved your case. Just like that, what influenced your thinking, structured your days, and haunted your dreams, came to a conclusion. Is that really it? Will you feel relief at some point? Cause you sure as hell don't do right now.

Just in front the doors, someone grabs your arm. You start to pull your arm away, but a familiar voice says: "Byrne, it's Isaacs. Hotchner send a message."

Raising your head, you look at the familiar face. He smiles at you, and you grab the side of his face, feeling his beard under your touch.

Isaacs pulls you into a hug. You just stand there in silence. His touch making you come back to earth.

"You did it." He whispers repeatedly. You nod against his shoulder, trying to convince yourself that that's true.

When he lets go, you keep holding on to his arms: "Thank you for coming."

"Of course." He kisses your cheek. You can tell that he came here as fast as he could, cheeks flushed from the rush.

Turning around, you see Spencer standing a few feet away, observing you. Hotchner seems to be already inside.

As you walk towards him, you notice how his posture is all tensed up.

It doesn't make you slow down, though. You grab his face with both hands and kiss him. He's obviously surprised because for a moment he doesn't react. Then he slowly starts to kiss you back, putting one of his hands on the back of your neck.

You never kissed him in public like that. Especially not in front of people you know.

"This is Cal Isaacs, my former partner at the DEA. This is Dr. Spencer Reid." You introduce them to each other.

"Very nice to meet you." Isaacs smiles and offers Spencer his hand. To your surprise, Spencer takes it.

ɤɤɤɤ ɤɤɤɤ ɤɤɤɤ

"We still need to figure out why Doyle wanted to be captured." You state while updating the whiteboard. Everyone nods.

"I'd like to assist on the case." Isaacs tells the team. He came up with you to meet the others and let you show him your new workplace. He kind of acts like a proud parent. It's endearing.

To say that you're still overwhelmed would be an understatement. You feel out of breath, mentally. But you don't stop running. Your case is no longer 'just' about you. The entire team has a personal connection, and for some reason that makes you feel more included than ever before.

It also surprises you how they treat you even after seeing the pictures. Sure, you censored them, nevertheless, you expected the team to display the kind of shock that immediately alienates you – or even despise you for using.

They don't. They seem to channel all their professional energy and skills to help you, not to pity you.

Furthermore, there is work to do and having Spencer and Cal around considerably helps you. Penelope started hitting on Cal the moment she entered the bullpen, flustering him with her direct approach.