Chapter 10

The sun was slowly rising, marking the start of a new day. Lightpaw was trotting toward the Moss Cedar. The Moss Cedar was a large cedar near the SwampClan border. It had bundles of bundles of moss growing along its bark, hence the name. Snowfeather's scent here was strong. He knew she was already waiting there before she came into view.

"Lightpaw! There you are!" She mewed. "So, I thought, since your mentor won't assess you, I will!" The young warrior said.

"You're gonna assess me? How?" Lightpaw felt his head tilt. Another scent came into his nose. It was another IcyClan cat. A very familiar one.

"Here she comes now!" Snowfeather stepped aside to let the other IcyClan cat step forward. Duststar emerged from the horses nearby.

"I'm here, Snowfeather. What did you need to show me?" The old leader croaked, rubbing her eyes. "Oh, hello to you too, Lightpaw." She greeted after her gaze landed on him.

"So, I think Lightpaw is more than ready to become a warrior," Snowfeather started. Duststar opened her mouth to say something, but Snowfeather kept going. "So, I want you to see his skills for yourself! And we could ditch that silly rule about the mentors having to do all the training!"

"Snowfeather, that's not how it works-" But before Duststar could finish, Snowfeather was ushering Lightpaw off. 

"Go! Catch something real big!" The grey spotted warrior swished her tail. Lightpaw hesitantly parted his jaws to taste the air. He tasted a few scrawny field mice, but that wouldn't suffice at all. He decided to wander into the clearer moor, where a few rabbits grazed. One of them looked a bit plumper than the other, but the other looked old and slow. As he waited crouched in the distance, he pondered which he should chase. 

The young tom decided to play it safe and chase the older rabbit. He bolted toward it, the breeze stinging his eyes. When it turned he jumped in front of it and caught it in his claws. Nipping its spine, he carried his catch. Snowfeather eyed him proudly. "See? He's a very skilId hunter!"

"Okay, but what about his fighting skills?" Duststar added sharply. 

"Alright. Me and him can have a mock battle-" Snowfeather was cut off by her mother's tail swishing.

"No, you're not having a mock battle with him." She hissed. "What if you go easy on him so he can become a warrior?"

"Well, then who will?" The dappled warrior responded. "There's no way he could even get a hit in with you. You're a leader! With seasons of experience!"

Duststar thought for a moment, her gaze trailing to the grass beneath her paws. "Wait here." She ordered before turning away from the Moss Cedar and padding in the direction of camp. The two other cats sat in silence for what felt like moons. Their ears perked up at every rustle, then immediately drooped back down when they realized it wasn't Duststar.

It was slightly past sunhigh now, and Duststar has yet to return. Snowfeather tapped her foot in frustration. "Oh, come on!" She growled. "Duststar just ditched us! Come on, Lightpaw. Let's see where she went," She huffed, standing with a flick of her tail. Lightpaw reluctantly followed. His mind kept wondering if he'd ever become a warrior.

When they reached camp, the air was very calm, as if a worry was lifted off their shoulders. There was a small crowd peering into the nursery. Lightpaw managed to get a glance into the nursery. Fuzzyleaf and Flamefoot were curled around two furry bundles. Darknose and Onetail were in there as well, purring at the furry blobs. Duststar gazed at them with a smile.

"Fuzzyleaf had her kits already?" Lightpaw mewed, glancing up at Snowfeather. She merely shrugged and stepped closer. Snowfeather shuffled her way through the crowd and her gaze met her mother's.