Prolouge

Stormshrew's heart felt like it would beat out of his chest. Him and his former mentor, Mousefire, had just returned from the half-moon meeting. That's when Mousefire announced she would be retiring soon.
  "Are you sure you want to retire?" Stormshrew mewed as they ducked into the medicine den. "Then you'll just be sitting around all day. Won't you get bored?"
   Mousefire then turned towards the young medicine cat, a warm smile on her face. Stormshrew then noticed all the grey fur on her muzzle and face, plus the bags under her eyes. His gaze trailed down, to look at her scrawny legs. She was getting old. Stormshrew didn't want to admit it though.
  "You'll do amazing as IcyClan's medicine cat. Don't ever doubt yourself." Mousefire turned away and continued her trot towards her nest. Stormshrew followed quickly behind, his hazel eyes still glittering with worry.
   The brown-grey tom opened his jaws to protest, but he quickly shut them. No, I can't tell her. He hissed in his head. He soon felt his own eyes grow droopy, so he slumped down into his nest. He let his eyes close, tension still flowing through him.

   Stormshrew was aware it was only a dream, but it felt horrifyingly real. First, there was nothing, but an empty black void. Then, a bright beam struck the ground, and a tiny ember emerged.
Rather quickly, the ember turned into a raging fire. Stormshrew turned around, but the fire surrounded him, closing in. In the night sky flew an owl, cawing desperately for something. Before Stormshrew could make out any more details, the fire collapsed around him, leaving nothing but darkness.

Stormshrew awoke with a jolt. He turned over his shoulder, surprised to see Mousefire still asleep. He carefully peered outside. It was a little past moonhigh. He eyed Onetail sitting guard right in front of the gorse tunnel.
   Stormshrew didn't want to risk waking anyone else up, so he just lied in his nest, wide awake. StarClan, forgive me.