Chapter 25

Shrewpaw carried her thrush into camp with a beaming smile. Her mentor, Flamefoot, traveled close behind. As sunhigh slowly passed, Petalfur and Thistlepaw, her apprentice, ducked into camp as well, holding their own pieces of prey. The clan was healing from the battle well. It had been nearly eleven moons since the battle, and Icepelt's and Leafwing's kits were ready to be apprenticed.

"We didn't miss the ceremony, did we?" Thistlepaw trotted toward his father, his head tilted.

"No, but it's about to start," Lightclaw hastily replied. Almost on cue, Duststar's raspy howl called for the clan to gather. Thistlepaw and Shrewpaw trotted over, sitting beside their parents. 

"Today, two kits are ready to be apprenticed," The elderly leader mewed. "Blankkit, until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Blankpaw. Your mentor will be Whitecrash. Dovekit, from this day forward, you will be known as Dovepaw. Your mentor will be Fuzzyleaf."

"Blankpaw! Dovepaw!" The clan cheered. Leafwing and Icepelt especially kept their chests puffed. The two new apprentices touched their noses with their new mentors, purring.

"Another thing I must add," The silver leader continued. "The sunhigh patrol reported a monster that strayed off the Smogpath. It wasn't moving, so it may be injured. I want to see it for myself, along with Lightclaw, Adderpelt, and Raintail." She gave a curt nod to dismiss the meeting, then climbed off the Cold Rock. "Come. We're going immediately," The IcyClan leader mewed, beckoning the three cats with her tail.

"A monster? Off the path?" Raintail nervously mewed. "What if it attacks us?"

"If it tries to hurt you, I'll rip those stupid paws off its feet," Adderpelt flexed his claws, shuffling closer to Raintail. It's so obvious he likes her, Lightclaw mewed in his head.

Raintail's ears heated up. "Oh! I- um, I- you too- or, ah, the same applies to you." She shook her head, trying to gather her words. "If it tries to hurt you, I'll protect you too." She finally spat out, her gaze adverting from shyness.

While walking to the site, Lightclaw leaned his muzzle toward Adderpelt's ear. "You should tell her how you feel," He hissed to the tabby tom.

"W-what?" Adderpelt blurted out before lowering his voice again. "But what if she doesn't like me like that? Or what if she wants kits?! She can't have kits with me! I was born a she-cat, remember?"

Lightclaw gave a small chuckle before continuing. "You could always get a surrogate. Or maybe she doesn't even want kits? You never know unless you ask!"

"Or what if she doesn't even like toms?" His ears folded, his teeth clenching.

"The worst thing that can happen is she says no," Lightclaw mewed. "And it's greenleaf! I bet there are some pretty flowers growing nearby,"

"I-" Before Adderpelt can finish his sentence, the broken-down monster came into view. Its paws were crooked and smoke dribbled out of it. There were no twolegs in sight, but the scent of them could still be traced. It sat on the grass next to the Smogpath, motionless.

"Is it dead?" Raintail mewed.

"It might be, though I've never seen a dead monster," Duststar croaked, circling around the smoking beast.

"I smell twolegs as well," Lightclaw added. "How about the rest of us scout for them, to make sure they haven't gone any farther into our territory?" The deputy suggested.

"Good idea," Duststar nodded. "I'll keep an eye on the monster,"

With a flick of his tail, Raintail and Adderpelt trotted closer to Lightclaw, awaiting his instructions. "Raintail, Adderpelt, you two search near that flower patch over there," He instructed. Adderpelt's ears heated up at the realization of Lightclaw's plan.