Chapter 14

"Adderpaw, Leafpaw, and Flowerpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and defend your clan, even at the cost of your lives?" Duststar mewed from the Cold Rock. It was finally time for the three apprentices to become warriors. The crisp leaf-bare air chilled the air and snow dotted the ground.

"I do." The apprentices mewed.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names. Adderpaw, from this day forward, you shall be known as Adderpelt, for your strength and loyalty. Leafpaw, you shall be known as Leafwing, for your agility and kindness. Flowerpaw, you shall be known as Flowermask, for your stealth and dedication. We welcome you three as warriors of IcyClan."

"Adderpelt! Leafwing! Flowermask!" The clan cheered. The three of them split up to grab a cat for their walk. Adderpelt had asked for Snowfeather to join him on his walk. Flowermask, to no one's surprise, decided to bring her mother, Squirreldust. She was the only cat that Flowermask really talked to. 

Leafwing trotted up to Icepaw and Lightclaw with a beaming smile. "Hey, Icepaw! Would you like to come on my walk?" The new warrior asked. He quickly turned to Lightclaw, adding, "May she come with me on my walk?" 

"Sure, why not?" Lightclaw purred. Leafwing gave a nod of thanks before the two young cats trotted toward the gorse tunnel. Soon enough, the six of them ducked under the tunnel and left camp.

With nothing to do at that moment, Lightclaw decided to grab some fresh-kill for the kits. Maybe he'd get a chance to play with them? The tom snatched a plover from the fresh-kill pile and began his stroll toward the nursery. Once he reached the mouth of the nursery, he happen to overhear his name in a gossip session.

"...surprised Lightclaw hasn't figured it out yet..." Fuzzyleaf mewed quietly. Lightclaw, curious about the conversation, stepped toward the side of the den to eavesdrop. "Snowfeather is way too obvious!"

"Maybe he hasn't noticed?" Another voice, Flamefoot's, said. "Though she is a bit obvious, she isn't as obvious as you were with me," Flamefoot purred. 

"A cat with fleas for brains can see that she obviously likes him!" Fuzzyleaf responded. "She should totally just confess her feelings!"

"Snowfeather has a crush on me?" Lightclaw peered in, locking gazes with Fuzzyleaf. He nearly dropped the feathery plover from his jaws.

"You really didn't notice?" Fuzzyleaf snorted. "Snowfeather has a huge crush on you!"

"Yeah, it's pretty obvious," Flamefoot added, though his eyes told a different story. He seemed to have a twinkle of uncertainty. 

Lightclaw wasn't quite sure what to say. He thought for a moment. The last time he had felt any romantic feelings toward someone was Thornmuzzle, and that was only a little apprentice crush! Knowing his best friend thought of him differently, thought of him as more. What could she see in me? I'm just an average, generic warrior. He mewed in his head.

After a minute, Lightclaw picked up the plover again and dropped it near Fuzzyleaf and Flamefoot.  "Oh, could you call Owlkit and Rainkit inside? It's almost their nap time. I think they're near the medicine den."

"Sure," Lightclaw mewed, turning his gaze near the medicine den. The kits were tossing around a moss ball, giggling. They seemed to be getting a bit tired. "Owlkit! Rainkit! Your mother says it's time for your nap." The white tabby called.

"But I'm not tired!" Rainkit stomped. "I don't want a nap!" Owlkit seemed tired, as well as reluctant to disobey his mother. Owlkit quietly slipped away toward the nursery, but Rainkit remained. 

"C'mon, your mother is waiting for you," Lightclaw added.

"No! I'm not taking a nap! No, no, no!" Rainkit hissed and pouted.