The First Kill Is Always The Hardest - Part 3 (END)

Henrik had disappeared. The police had found no sign of him in the house or even around the neighbourhood, and after several unsuccessful hours of searching they gave up any hope.

One officer helped Jackie gather some of his things and find a hotel, where he'd stayed for several months until he was able to find an apartment of his own. And boy was he glad to finally have a place he could clean and, especially, cook by himself again.

The apartment itself was nice, spacious with the little amount of things he still had, and it was incredibly quiet, something he was surprised actually bothered him some after being in a noisy hotel room for so long. He couldn't wait to settle in and get comfortable again, but he was not looking forward to the time in between then and now.

Jackie looked at the clock, getting ready to go to his psychiatrist's appointment. He'd been cleared regarding any trauma the incident might have left behind; it didn't bother him as much as it had the night it happened, rather he was more scared Henrik might come after him now.

As soon as Henrik had admitted to killing so many people, Jackie knew it was something that meant a lot to him mentally, and having the police called, even if he'd been able to get away without immediate repercussions, meant his little "hobby" had now been compromised and he'd have to be 100 times more careful not to get caught.

Jackie just wished he would would get caught already so he wouldn't have to keep looking over his shoulder in anxious anticipation of being his ex-friend's next victim.

He took the bus, playing music to block out any sounds, but keeping his other senses hyper-vigilant, and got off at the stop leading to his psychiatrist's office.

Since he was in fact cleared, the two of them had been talking about getting Jackie some extra help in his new place. Specifically, a service dog. She was already picked out of her litter and of age to start training. It was just a matter of timing.

He stepped into the office, carrying two cups of tea he'd picked up on the way, his psychiatrist looking up at him with the same big, bright eyes she always did. "Good morning, Jackie! You look well."

Jackie closed the door to the office, admiring the decor as usual as he handed her the cup. His psychiatrist worked with all ages from toddlers to adults, and she was good at her job. Her office was big, and had a sensory tent in one corner that anyone was allowed to go into if they needed to calm down.

"Morning," he replied back, distracted, his body automatically dragging him to the seat across from her.

"How did you sleep? Nightmares still sparse, I hope." No matter what times the appointments were, she somehow always happened to be in a cheery mood. Jackie nodded his head absently. "That's good, that's good. So, uhm, about the service dog." That brought her Jackie's full attention quicker than she could count to one. She smiled. "How's next week looking?"

"Next week? That's- no, yeah, that's perfect!"

"Good! I'll let them know. So, that was the main part of this appointment, yeah? Was there anything you wanted to talk about before I send you on your way?"

Jackie shrugged, scratching the back of his neck. His psychiatrist took a sip of her tea. "I... guess I'm still worried he's going to come back for me. I still feel like I did something wrong by reporting him." His psychiatrist nodded.

"There's still the option of an in-home support worker," she suggested. Jackie bit his lip. "I know you're used to being independent, but think about it. It would take a lot of stress off of you being alone so often."

"I'll, I'll think about it."

"Excellent. Let me remind you though, you did nothing wrong. If anything, the pressure will make him make a wrong move sooner or later and he will get caught. He will get caught," she reiterated at Jackie's fragile, unbelieving look. "Do you want to stay and talk a bit more? I have some new activities you could check out."