Chapter III

Ada sat inside the cold empty house, it's silence defeating and the smell. Rummaging through her suitcase she unpacked and climbed the stairs to her once was room, it was decorated with band posters and books shoved untidily in shelves. Her bed made with the dark brown bedspread. Stuff teddies in the corner and unlocking her wardrobe a shoe box keeping old diaries.

Nostalgia washed over as she rummaged through the pages of the last book. Aged 16, the last entry had read-

This morning we had Mass and Monsignor Pruitt talked and rambled for what seemed like forever. But he was nice to me. He was always nice to me.
I spoke to Riley Flynn today, for the last time.
Think I will miss him, and Erin.

Two months prior was the initial plan .

The Great Escape, they'll write books about me.
Nah- I'm not special to write about. Morning Mass once again, but Bev Keane just likes to stare at me. Properly cause I'm not paying much attention, I think I'm almost ready to leave.

Okay, The Great Escape also known as Adas Adventure. I'll make journey across the ferry, towards mainland surely pick up an odd job and I'll make enough money to travel.

Ada remembered why it took so long to leave. In the time between her fifteen and sixteenth birthday Ada had succumbed to illness that went around the entire town, not lately after her father lost time during his job on the boats due to the oil spill.
Less income. Less food and to pay bills.

The next page was written what seemed to be a month later,

A lot of people in town were sick, but now my family is getting better I should leave soon before someone catches on. I've told Erin and Riley but they both won't. But they won't forever, they'll soon leave like me.

Sorry mother, I can't. Hopefully Father John won't think to ill of me.

It was then 16 year old Ada had written her last entry before saying goodbye in large fluent letters.
A knock then awoke her from her melancholy nostalgia, answering it she noticed it was Dolly and Wade.

"Come on in." Ada smiled welcoming them in warmly as she then walked to place the kettle on and make them tea.

"It's good to have you back in Crockett, Ada. There was always rumours to your leave." Wade sighed taking seat on the couch,

"Hollywood was a main one." Dolly giggled,
Ada made their tea bringing it to them,
"Thanks." Wade gracefully accepted taking a sip,
"Mhm, good stuff." Dolly smiled.

"So, what brings you?" Ada asked,
"Just wondering how you are faring. It's supposedly going to storm soon. Lately we've been having crazy weather." Wade informed,
"So please let us know if you need anything, candles. Blankets and such." Dolly offered,

"Thanks Dolly, but don't forget who my mother was." Leanne was a real doomsday person, harbouring tin can foods, preaching that the end of days was near. Always stocked with extra candle wicks, torches and matches.

"That was just like Leanne." Dolly hummed, Ada caught that word in her throat was. And it is funny how we know something, someone for most of our lives and then we don't.

"Sorry dear, your mother." Wade condoled,
"It was lovely to see you at Mass though. I'm sure she would of loved it." Dolly smiled gratefully,

After fifteen minutes of conversing Dolly and Wade set off, leaving Ada to gather her things to then decide on seeing the Sheriff.

"Knock knock." Ada smirked pushing open the door to reveal who seemed to be Mister Hassan himself,

"You must be Miss Adaline Anderson." He greeted placing his hand out to shake, Ada gripped it.