Chapter IV

"As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."- Romans 8:36

When Ada returned home that night after spending a couple hours with the Father, talking, conversing about all things religion and not. Ada found herself walking towards the doorstep of that little lonely house a few minutes walk from the Flynn house.

"That's the thing about grief and loneliness, it sets with you an creates this pit. But you rise above it and become a glowing cascadia. All the bad things that happen to us, only make us better if we let it." This is what she remembered in her head as Father Paul talked with her, often noticing her closed off demeanour when it came to home.

Tomorrow it was scheduled she would take a trip while morning mass had began, no one could keep her away from the inevitable. She'd take to the mainland to burn her mother. Climbing up the stairs it creaked, and she thought to herself. Did they never attempt to fix anything?

Crockett had a lot of houses that were mostly a like, it didn't keep up with the times. And it was like it was always a generation behind. Fortunately Father Paul's face lightened it up, that she never thought could happen.

She had rung Julia who sounded like she woke up,
"Hi, what time is it?" Ada asked dropping her bag onto the floor alongside her coat.

"It's about 8pm, I had early morning shift at the hospital. They're a bit understaffed at the moment so I have to go back in at two for the morning shift. How you?" Julia groggily responded.

"It was good, I spent some time with old acquaintances, even had a conversation with the local Priest. Seems really nice actually." Ada pushed on the kettle then proceeded to make herself some hot tea before bed,

"Seems like you're going well. Have you been to see you mum yet?" Ada frowned,
"I see her tomorrow morning after mass, I'm not going I am hoping to leave well most people are there."

"Seems mass is a big thing in Croakett."
"Crockett." Ada corrected,
"Crockett, sorry." Julia sounded more awake a toliet flushed and then the sound of the bathroom faucet on.

"Anyway I told the hospital you weren't going to be in awhile cause of family. They said you'd have to ring and confirm but I don't think Andrew is happy." Ada could feel Julia grinning, and that was cause no one liked Andrew Potts; the senior nurse. He was always tedious and demanding, but Ada couldn't blame him, hospital life is hard.

"Yeah well, I would be too. But these things happen he should understand that." Ada assured, "I'll call him tomorrow morning before I leave." Ada poured the hot water into her mug dipping the teabag in and out.

"Night Jules"
"Night Ada." The two bid farewell, "text afterward."
"Mhm, no stress. Love you." Julia reminded,
"Love you too." Ada hung up, scrolling then through music playlists and listening to such through her earphones, picking up her book and sitting on the balcony until she dozed off underneath a thick wooly blanket.

It was still dark, no doubt midnight as Ada had woken up by the slight breeze and the blanket falling leaving her shivering. Picking up her book, and wiped the drool off her sleeve, afterward picking up her phone that lay on a glass table next to her, shoving it into her jersey pocket.  The tea mug was stained with remnants of tea on the table too, as she collected everything to go inside.

It was at six in the morning, like routine did she shower, and dress herself deciding that shed get something on the mainland. Sheriff Hassan yesterday spoke of wanting to also attend out of respect to Ada's feelings, not feeling that she should feel the need to deal with this alone. Alas, that's what Ada needed to do the most, she needed to do this alone. But his sentiment was gracefully thanked.

On her way out it was nine-thirty, everyone had just left to attend morning mass. Meant that she wasn't going to be noticed if she was absent.