Understanding

Peters POV

Future Peter walked to the front of the ship where Quill and Gamora were flying it. 

"Hi." He said, pulling a chair up and sitting down.

"What's up?" Quill asked.

"Just getting away from the chaos of the avengers and the other guardians." Future Peter replied.

"Yea, they can be a handful." Gamora agreed then turned to look at him. "So, what's your plan for Thanos?"

"I don't know. Just kill him?" Future Peter said sheepishly.

"That is a terrible plan." She said bluntly. "You can't just kill Thanos. He's way too powerful to simply get stabbed and die. Also, what about his army? His children? What are you going to do about them? Also, do you know where you're going? Do you know the best way to sneak in so we don't alert anybody to our presence? These are valid questions, Peter." 

"Er, well, Thor can chop off his head. Oh wait, he doesn't have stormbreaker yet. So he can't do that. We'll fight his army if need be but let's try to just get in and get out?" He asked uncertainly.

He saw them giving him blank looks and threw his hands up. "Ok I'll admit, I have terrible planning skills for this."

"Hm." Gamora watched him. "You don't seem all that put together, Peter. Are you sure you're stable enough to fight him?" 

"Yes. no. I don't know! All I know, is that this is a chance to change things and I'm taking it." His voice broke.

"Peter, you said you're from the future. So obviously we fight Thanos otherwise you wouldn't be going after him now. But what if fighting him too early ruins the timeline? Most people can't change the past and the people who are able to, shouldn't. It's dangerous to mess with time if you don't know what you're doing." She said gently.

"But, I can't go back to being alone. It's too much. It's like I'm suffocating in grief and loneliness. I lost everything because I wanted to be a hero. And I continue to be a hero. And it's not easy. So when I was thrown back into the past by the Green Goblin, I found a chance to change everything. To make life better for not just me but all the avengers who have lost so much." He sniffled. "I just want things to be like they are now. I just want to be happy."

"Peter." He tuned at his younger self's voice.

"Yea?" He asked.

"Something I was told awhile ago, and maybe you've forgotten, was 'with great power would also come great responsibility.' And it's my motto." He stopped, shook his head, and started again. "What I'm trying to say is, what happens if you kill Thanos? What if you go back to the future after killing him and the future is even more messed up? Are you going to come back and try again. Are you just going to keep going in an endless loop of trying to fix it until you're no longer able to fix it? That sounds like a terrible path, Peter. And it won't make you happy. But, you can go back to the future and find out what would help if you changed something there. You have the ability to become happy again. I think you just didn't see that as a choice through all your grief." He said gently.

Future Peter was full on crying now.

"But none of y'all are in my life. And it hurts. A lot. And, now I have you guys back and I don't want to leave." He whispered.

He felt arms wrap around him. And then another pair. And another. The others came over and added to their group hug.

"Hey, Pete, we all made you something." Tony said, pulling away.

Everyone let go of him so he could see what Tony got him. Tony held out Future Peter's phone to him.

"What?" Future Peter asked confused.

"We all left messages for you there. Every single one of us. So whenever you feel sad or feel like you need us, just go into camera and listen to our messages." Tony said.

Future Peter started crying more.

"Thank you." He said thickly. "Thank you all for this."

"We just want you to be happy." Nat said softly.

Future Peter smiled at all of them and for the first time, except earlier when he was with his younger self, it was a genuine smile. He felt lighter and happier than he had in a long time. And it was all thanks to them.

"I apologize for ruining this heartfelt moment, but does anyone want cake?" Quill asked.

"When did you have time to bake a cake?" Gamora looked at him.

"I didn't. But I heard there's cake on earth." He said. "So does anyone want cake?"

"I've contacted Pepper and told her we'll be back on earth by tomorrow at the latest." Fury walked in.

"Ok." Future Peter agreed, letting go of that last little hope of killing Thanos. "Let's go home."

Peppers POV

"They're coming home!" I shouted happily, running into the room where Strange was creating portal after portal to find Peter.

A cheer went up through the avengers and Dr. Strange looked up tiredly.

"Without killing Thanos?" He asked skeptically.

"Yes!" I smiled. "They convinced the Future Peter that revenge wouldn't help or something."

"Oh thank god." Dr. Strange made the portal he had open disappear. "Do you know when they'll be here?"

"Tomorrow." I said.

"Alright. Well, until then, I'm going to get some sleep." He said.

"Hey, Dr. Strange?" May asked.

She had refused to leave until she saw that both Peters were alright and fine.

"Yes?" He answered, stopping.

"Can Peter stay one more day after he gets home? You know, so he can go back with happy memories of us?" She asked hopefully.

"Your minds will still be erased." He reminded her. 

"His won't be. That's all that matters." She said firmly.

"Whatever." He sighed. "Now, no one bother me until they get here."

He walked out and the avengers cheered again.

"So, what are we going to do with him for his last day here?" Wanda asked.

"I have a few ideas." May said.

"So do I." Pepper said.

They got to work, fitting as many activities into one day that they could. They made sure that this day would have no superheoring in it and that it would be the best day Peter ever had.

A/N: I'll admit, this book is kinda writing itself lol but it's fineeee. I hope everyone is enjoying it, regardless of the first sentence!