day nineteen

There was a moment in which Hope really thought she was dead. There was a smile on her face, she was high off the pain and in some sort of way she was happy that things happened this way. If she had died that afternoon, she could no longer disappoint her father. She could no longer disappoint Maya and she could no longer disappoint Josie.

This was her easy way out.

7 minutes she laid on the ground barely conscious as blood spilled all over the concrete road.

The first minute she saw her childhood. A little confused as to what was happening Hope walked around what seemed to be a mansion. She watched her mother and father arguing in the study. Suddenly, a slap was heard, and Hayley was on the ground holding her cheek trying to contain her tears.

Slowly, her mother's gaze raised until she met Hope's eyes. There she was, frightened, still, shocked, and scared. Her eyes had darkened that day just a little and, in her opinion, that was the day her childhood really ended.

The second minute she observed as she navigated through the old high school halls. She smiled, remembering her old friends, professors and best of all her kindred spirit, Wren. Wren, a short brunette, was Hope's best friend and even though she hadn't seen her in years it felt refreshing watching them together, smiling. She remembered that day, it was the 3rd month after her mother passed away. Deep down, she knew Wren was her first love, but she would never tell her that.

A flash came and the third minute began. She was a little confused here; there was no important moment she remembered so she did the only thing she could. She explored. She walked and walked but there was nothing there. It was a large and deep pitch black that had no end. It had nothing. Suddenly a small table appear with a remote.

Grabbing it, she sat on the mysterious chair and clicked the first button she touched. Out of the blue, a screen appeared showing her something that seemed to look like a video. As the tape began rolling, she watched her young self.

She watched herself, laugh and cry. Child Hope jumped on the luxurious couches and painted the expensive gowns her mother owned. However, she was never mad. Her mother loved her and as soon as she reached out to touch her, the video changed.

Soon, she saw herself in the executive office at her family's company closing her first case with a big smile on her face. Everyone congratulated her, except her father. Klaus Mikaelson stood in a corner looking at her with a disappointed expression. Soon the video cut short and jumped to her and her father arguing. It wasn't anything strange or out of the normal, but some piece of her wished she could have had a happy family.

And once again, the video changed. Now, she was moving in with Maya. Her face showed a happy smile, so bright that it could light up any room however her heart beat each time slower making her somehow empty.

She looked back at herself a little disappointed. Why wasn't she strong enough to just say no and live her life? Hope closed her eyes trying to hold in the tears until she heard someone else. In sickness, in death and even a thousand miles away she could recognize that voice anytime, anywhere. It was her.

"How is it that you always smile?"

Hope responded and remembered exactly when this was. A week before Hope and Josie were happy together. She couldn't stop laughing at Josie trying to lift 100 pounds. As her body collided with the floor the memory stopped, and in the far away distance, she could see Josie holding her.

Hope yelled. She tried to reach out but each time she seemed further away. And so, a blinding light filled the vast space and she shivered. It was cold. Eerily cold.

"Hope? Can you hear me?" A voice called from afar.

The auburn-haired woman groaned and opened her eyes; she was in Josie's living room. Her eyes met with the brunette's and tears spilled. "W- why does this hurt." "Like a bitch?" She added.

"Stop talking. Blood keeps gushing out. Mayas on her way."

"Am I going to die?" Hope asked as blood started spilling out of her ears. "No, you're not allowed to die on me Hope Mikaelson. Because if you do, I'll fall in love with someone else."

"W-what about P-penelope?"

"She's chasing the driver, she's gone. But hey, stay with me. And stop talking. You can't die on me." Josie said as she wiped her tears and placed a chaste kiss on the woman's hand.

-*-

Maya had finished stitching Hope up and sighed. She looked at the girl, at the love of her life and saw her clearly for the first time in a long time. The auburn-haired woman looked so calm and relaxed, like a child. She was at peace like this.

Taking a deep breath, she shook her head. There was too much risk, she needed to take Hope to a hospital where she could have intensive care all night long in case something happened. In the living room, Maya looked at Josie. The look she had in her eyes.

She loved Hope and, in some way, Maya knew Hope loved her too. All the rage taking over her, caused a small problem which would lead to Hope's last breath, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

-*-

A bright light caused her to open her eyes. She had been asleep for a long time and felt somewhat reborn. It might've been the meds, but who knows. As far as Hope knew, she had a rocket up her ass and she liked it.

In the small medical room, Hope looked out the window. It was dark. And in the corner, the only person that remained was Josie. She had fallen asleep on a small chair with a blanket covering her lap. The brunette looked amazing.

As Hope moved around in the bed, the brunette awoke. "Oh my god, you're awake. Are you feeling okay? Should I get the nurse?"

"Where am I?"

"Maya suggested we take you to the hospital for an overnight watch. She left a few hours back, to rest and Penelope went to the Police and handed them the plates to the car that ran you over. She was worried."

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Hope asked, her tone several octaves down.

"No. No, come on. You remember me, of course you do. I'm Josie," the brunette said while taking the girl's hand.

Silence. Suddenly, Hope burst into laughter. "That was golden." Josie took her hand away from Hope and shook her head. "You bitch, I really thought you had amnesia."

There was a weird tension in the air. Suddenly, both remembered their last conversation. "Um, there's something I need to tell you," Hope said as she sat up on the hospital bed.

"Um sure, yeah. Go ahead." Josie said while sitting at the foot of the bed, holding Hope's leg for comfort.

"There's something about us that's off and half of me knows what it's about and the other half wants to ignore it, but we can't." Hope took a deep breath. "I love you, too much Josie Saltzman. But you're right and I need to let go. Some part of me will always love you, but the whole of me wants you to be happy and if being with Penelope makes you the happiest then I support it 100%." Hope smiled. "You deserve to be happy, babe. So, tell Penelope congratulations on having the best woman ever." A small tear rolled down her cheek.

Josie bit back her tongue and nodded. She let a small laugh escape her lips. "You're right." The words were sour in her mouth. "You're absolutely right."

"So, what do we do now?" Hope asked as she fiddled with her fingers. "Friends?" The auburn-haired woman suggested as she gave Jo a weak smile.

There was so much Josie needed to say. So much she needed to clarify, but it wasn't fair. It wasn't fair to Maya nor Hope and she didn't want to cause anyone any more pain, so she smiled and nodded. "Friends."

They say there's 3 types of silence and Josie and Hope shared two of them. But now, in this hospital room, they experienced the third. The love between two people who used to love each other. The love between two people who have too much to say, but can't.

a/n: sorry for taking so long to update this story. i'll try to update more frequently... thanks for still reading this ig, i owe it all to you.