419-421

Chapter 419: New Life?

As Qi Yan spoke, she smiled slightly. Zhang Xinhui was silent as she looked at her quietly. She just said, “Oh, right, Yan Yan, you haven’t eaten yet, right? I made you a bowl of noodles.

“It’s the first time I’ve cooked in my life.

“Thinking about it, I’ve never cooked anything good for my daughter. You won’t despise me, right?”

As Zhang Xinhui spoke, she got up and went to get the noodles.

“No, of course not!”

Qi Yan was a little puzzled. Seeing that her mother had already brought the noodles over, she naturally hurried to take it.

The noodles were a little better than she had imagined. The meat slices were just thick enough and stacked on top of each other, and there was also some crispy green garnish. It wasn’t especially delicious, but the broth was just right.

“Quick, try it?”

Her mother stuffed a pair of chopsticks into her hands expectantly.

It was as if she couldn’t wait for her to eat the noodles she made.

Qi Yan paused for a moment, but then didn’t hesitate as she quickly accepted the chopsticks and started eating.

“How is it?”

Before she even took a bite, her mother looked at her expectantly.

Qi Yan felt that her mother was acting strange tonight. Was something wrong?

She bit into her noodles, nodded slightly, and said, “It’s good.”

“Good, good.”

Tears welled up in Zhang Xinhui’s eyes, and there was a hint of pain on her face.

Looking at her daughter quietly eating noodles, Zhang Xinhui suddenly started talking. “Yan Yan, did I tell you that before you came to this family, your father actually had a mistress, and even had a son with that mistress?”

“Oh…

“No!”

Qi Yan was so surprised that she almost didn’t eat another bite. She just looked at Zhang Xinhui silently and was dumbfounded.

Her mother, Zhang Xinhui, wasn’t looking at her face anymore. She continued in a low voice, “How should I put it? I made a lot of noise about it in the beginning!

“But later, I understood. I didn’t have anything, and he could divorce me for all sorts of reasons at any time, so I compromised.

“I even helped him and his mistress raise their child. I thought that they would give me a secure life…”

As Zhang Xinhui spoke, she gently wiped her tears and pretended to be strong. After a long pause, she continued, “However, I’ve thought it through now. Before, you asked if I had anything you could be proud of.

“Unfortunately, I don’t.”

“Also, I’m already at this age. It’s unrealistic no matter how hard I try, so…”

As Zhang Xinhui spoke, she suddenly looked nervous and a little embarrassed. She looked back at her daughter, but still said in the end, “Yan Yan, in the future, will you abandon me? Will you not take care of me or support me in my old age?”

As Zhang Xinhui spoke, tears welled up in her eyes. She clenched her fists and looked eagerly at Qi Yan, her only daughter.

Qi Yan couldn’t help but be stumped. So, she had specially made a bowl of noodles for her…