𝟾

߷Jacob߷
֎֍֎֍

I continue what I'm doing even after (L/N) leaves. I am currently just reorganizing everything in the cooking area, when I look back I see (Y/N) resting on the couch with a book in hand. She seems content so I get back to work.

I let my mind wander, Maisie's going to want more books soon I reach for something and stop as my hand grazes it lightly. Maisie, I wonder what Maisie's been up to when I'm gone. I think back to the docks. I replay the moment when (Y/N) looks up at me with a smile.

The corner of my lips tugs up. (Y/N) has been here for just about 3 weeks and yet she's had quite an impact, Maisie seems cheerier, Blue too believe it or not. I feel a warmth in my chest whenever Maisie's happy. She has truly made her way into being somewhat of a daughter to me, and I could never be happier.

I recall when Maisie first showed me the books and pointed out the fallacies. It always gets me thinking how Maisie, a child, outsmarted an entire kingdom in less than a week. Should I be proud or intimidated? A soft chuckle escapes me after that thought.

Maisie is no ordinary child though, she's much more. Intelligent, free-spirited, and simply wonderful to name a few. The more I think about her the more I Think how my life has changed because of her. A bittersweet feeling washes over me. I choose to avoid thinking further on that for now.

Once I'm done in my area I look back at (Y/N). My feet steal me away as I open my mouth "how's your side?" I ask thoughtlessly. (Y/N) looks up at me and shrugs. "Could be better, but it's the best it can be in the time it's had to heal." Her voice leads with a more mellow tone.

She looks back up at me, I notice a singular scar on her chin, most likely from years before. I clear my throat "that's good, that's good." i'm caught off guard when she turns the chapter and an illustration of me appeared. I feel the need to make myself disappear when she looks up at me.

"You were a hunter?" she asks. I awkwardly smile and scratch the back of my neck. "Yes, but I don't like talking about it much." I try my best not to make eye contact. (Y/N) looks away from me and then back down at the book. Almost simultaneously she says "so you killed monsters."

I wipe a hand down my face as a wave of discomfort causes my chest to feel compressed. "No, well yes, but again I don't want to talk about it." I say sternly. (Y/N) seems to understand and closes the book. "Hm. Alright. For now I'll stop pestering you about it...sideburns." she says jokingly.

I was about to say something but ultimately gave up. I lean against the back of the couch and (Y/N) takes a deep breath. I glance at her. She seems lost back in the book already. I think about what she said "you really are a good dad." it felt as if she was trying to strum one of my heartstrings.

I hate to admit it, but it worked.

(Y/N) has somehow stuck her hand into the glove that is our home and she fits in quite well. Maisie, a few days ago admitted to me that she likes (Y/N) being here, and quite logically stated how she should stay due to her memories not coming back fully just yet.

Maisie's point holds true of course, but I also don't know much about her yet. Maybe that's because I haven't tried, or even because her memories haven't come back. Either way I should start putting in the effort to get to know her. Maybe that'll help her more than me.

I turn back to her, and I stare at her for a moment, and then I step away. What's the use of getting to know her if she will leave someday? No matter how much Maisie wants her to stay. She's going to be gone. So there's nothing I can do.

I feel a weight on my shoulders as I head to my room to clean. Once I get past the door and shut it I look around and sigh. Getting to work as my thoughts turn muffled and unimportant to what I am doing.

֎֍֎֍