Chapter 7

Trigger warning: references to domestic abuse.

"Erwin told Mike never to bring it up again," he heard Levi say in strained tones a few days later just as he was about to knock on the partially ajar door to Mike's office. The commander halted at the sound of his name. "This is the kind of thing that'll make him see red. Let's just leave it alone."

"But she asked us to tell him," he heard Hange's anxious voice. "I don't get why you two don't want to."

"Because it wasn't an accident and he'll know it," warned Mike. "C'mon, you know what that maid was getting at... really? She fell down a flight of stairs?"

"Wait, is the commander going to rescue her from that prick Shelton?" asked Hange excitedly. "Does he love her?"

"Shut up, four eyes," said Levi. "Let the grown-ups talk."

"Talk about what? What accident?" demanded Erwin as he finally pushed open the door, striding in, fearing the worst.

"Fuck," said Levi, turning to Hange. "I thought you said he was in a meeting?"

"Tell me," Erwin's voice was low and threatening.

"It's Morgana Sorkin," Hange blurted out, as Levi glared at her. "She's in the hospital."

Erwin's shoulders stiffened. "What exactly happened?" he said, carefully trying to school his expression.

"Well, I wanted to see if I could get a ticket to her next concert," started Hange in a rush. "I figured you were able to get one, so why shouldn't I? I had saved some money and I asked if we could stop by the great hall. We were in town to-"

"Just shut up," said Levi exasperated. "At the hall Sorkin's maid saw us-I guess that's who she was-and told us there was an accident-Sorkin had fallen down a flight of stairs-"

"But Mike doesn't think it was an accident," interrupted Hange. "The maid was super-nervous and she asked us to tell you but these two-"

She stopped as she saw their commander's expression darkening more and more. "Where?" he said, in a tight voice. "What hospital?"

"Erwin-Mike's just speculating," Levi offered gruffly. "We don't know anything-right, Mike? For all we know she just twisted her ankle..."

"Where is she?" said Erwin, sternly.

"I'll tell you-but I'm coming with you," said Mike.

"Fine," said Erwin. "Then let's move out."

***

Mike didn't think he'd ever seen Erwin so enraged. Not even after an expedition where everything had gone wrong, not after scouts scoffed at his long-range scouting plan, not after Nile Dok had gone after the girl he was sweet on.

But if this was what he suspected it was, Mike could understand it. The young singer was asleep when they arrived at her hospital room, her forehead wrapped in a bandage, an eye blackened, a cut at the corner of her mouth. Her wrist was in a cast. Who knew what other damage she had sustained. What they could see was bad enough.

"God damn him," Erwin snarled through clenched teeth. His hands were in tight fists, his face white with rage. He was shaking, not knowing where to direct his fury. Just then Millie entered the room quietly, stopping short as she beheld the two soldiers. Erwin managed to calm himself in front of the fretful maid.

"Oh, Commander, it's you," she said. "I didn't know you would come." She gazed worriedly at her mistress. "She's resting easy, now. They've given her something for the pain."