Chapter 12

Erwin always gave Morgana a kiss on her forehead at the door of their home each time he prepared to leave to lead a reconnaissance mission. He didn't want her at the gates or at HQ to see the scouts gather and depart. He wanted to remember her, smiling sweetly at the door of the snug house he had bought them, apart from all that mayhem. He so appreciated that she always showed him a brave face when he left. No tears, no histrionics. Her spirit dwelled in the moment, refusing to fret. He relished her ability to bend to the sunny—even when she was with Shelton, there had been a lightness about her. Though her life had seemed to involve a fair amount of drama, she had always remained a beacon of serenity.

Erwin had never dreamed he'd be so lucky to find someone who wouldn't brood over his line of work. He could leave her knowing she wouldn't be wringing her hands until his return. She never asked him not to go, not to pursue his ambitions. And she was always there for him. He could always trust her to be there waiting for him, sympathetic to his cause, ready with a soothing word and an understanding ear.

The only thing that truly made her sad, he observed from time to time, was the absence of her child. He would sometimes come upon her alone holding onto the quilt she had knitted Mila. He knew it was an ache that would never be remedied. But she would always perk up upon seeing him, not wanting to remind him of how she had borne another man's child—and how she would never bear his. He had bought her a piano when they had moved into their house and was glad when she started filling her days with other people's children as a piano teacher. She loved her students, and he saw how she glowed with pride when they finished a minuet or perfected a sonata.

It was late one evening and Erwin was sitting at his desk, pouring over some paperwork when he glanced up to see Mike poke his head around the door frame.

"Hey, didn't expect to see you here—busy with some new initiative from the higher-ups?" he asked.

"No—no, just finishing up some paperwork," said Erwin, rubbing his eyes.

"Just paperwork?" asked Mike, curious.

"Yes—why?" asked Erwin.

Mike suddenly looked uncomfortable. "Umm—no reason," he stuttered. "Sooo—good luck with that. See you tomorrow!" He edged back out the door.

"Soldier!" demanded Erwin, not fooled by Mike's evasiveness. "Speak. What's on your mind?"

"Ahh—just thought you might be at home, this evening, it being one year and all..."

"One year of what?"

"Aw, shit, I really have to go, Erwin," said Mike nervously. "Maybe, just head home as soon as you can."

"What are you going on about, Zacharias?" Erwin growled.

"Jesus Christ, don't make me say it—it's one year since you got married. I only know because I saw Morgana at the entrance of HQ today—she said she hadn't seen you in a few days and had asked Hange to give you a note about it."

He thought back to earlier in the day.

"Looks like a little love note from your sweetheart," Hange had grinned as she placed a small envelope on his desk in front of him.

He'd had a few officials in his office at the time and was quite irritated with the gregarious woman's intrusion. "Thank you, section commander," he said stiffly. "Dismissed."

He started rummaging around on his desk and found the small envelope under a file folder.

Crap.

There didn't seem much point in opening it now, but he did.

Hello, darling, it read, I've missed you! Hopefully you can make it home this evening for a special treat on a special day. Love, Morgana.

He was undoubtedly the worst husband ever. He looked at the clock. 10:00. He had so much paperwork lately to finish and the only time he could work on it undisturbed was in the evening. And sometimes it was just so much easier when it got late to crash in his quarters here. Morgana didn't seem to mind. She always seemed to have a nice meal waiting for him along with a sweet smile when he did get home.

But this would probably strain even Morgana's good nature. It had been such a lovely year, too. He'd never been so happy as he had been this year with Morgana to share his life with. She fit in so perfectly, a sweet bastion of calm in his frenzied world.

He reread the note. Hopefully, she had written. She wasn't even sure he'd show up even if she did remind him it was their anniversary. The thing was, he actually had a present he was planning to give her on their anniversary—but events had just taken over.

When he arrived home, a few candles were burning in their cozy front parlor. Morgana was asleep in an armchair, looking lovely in a somewhat crumpled white gown. She knew he liked her in white—he'd told her once that it reminded him of what she was wearing when he first kissed her. He could see through the door into the dining room that there were place settings for two and an unopened bottle of wine. They usually ate in the kitchen and rarely had wine. It was clear that this was the special treat.

It seemed cruel to wake her just to apologize, so he carried her to their bedroom and placed her on the bed.

The next day she awoke to her contrite husband bringing in a breakfast tray, complete with a pretty spray of flowers. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart," Erwin told her as he gave her a light kiss on her head.

"Don't worry, my love, I know how caught up you can get...and now you're here," smiled Morgana. "And this is lovely," she said looking at the items spread on the tray. "I'm truly impressed," she laughed.

"I've cleared my schedule today," he said taking her hand and kissing it. "And I'm going to take you on a romantic picnic, with strawberries and champagne, and we'll make love under the shade of the cedar trees. But first..." He stepped over to his bureau and pulled out a small box.

He knew he could never rival the jewels and gems Shelton had showered her with and was probably why he held back this special gift, saving it for now. "Morgana, you've made me so happy—and I kept this for our one-year anniversary, which, of course, it seems now I've kept it for the day after our one-year anniversary..." he chuckled as he placed the small box in front of her on the tray.

She smiled warmly as she opened it to find a beautiful golden pendant in the shape of a bird on a delicate gold chain, one small sparkling emerald as the bird's eye in profile. "It was my mother's, a gift from my father. He said it represented freedom—how birds could fly beyond the walls..." said Erwin. "And how fitting for you to now have it—my sweet songbird."

"Oh, Erwin," she whispered. "It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen—I'll treasure it." She leaned forward to kiss him.

"Happyanniversary, my love," he said.