Chapter 11

Levi had done his work well. It was nearly a week before anyone noticed that his lordship was even missing. By that time the trail was cold.

Pandora suspected some sort of foul play—and was quick to let the military police know. She herself, after scurrying to report to Shelton on Erwin and Morgana, had gone to help Reglitt as he prepared the lord's residence in the capitol for a several months' long absence. His lordship had left, so they thought, for his country estate to be with his ailing wife.

No one had been at the townhouse except Millie, who swore up and down that Lord Shelton had never been there in the past week. Miss Morgana, had collected a few things after her daughter's funeral and was now staying with a friend in Trost, retreating in her grief, she informed them. All performances canceled.

The friend was Hange, who had quickly moved into a small apartment with Morgana near HQ. If anyone questioned it, it was a well-known fact that the section leader had often visited Morgana in the hospital. She was indeed a friend who was comforting the grieving singer.

Erwin had been seen by hordes of soldiers over that week, so was clearly above suspicion, only Hange, Mike, and Levi aware of his visit to Morgana's home aside from Millie.

The thing that sealed it was Shelton's horse—found wandering near the road to his Wall Rose estate. How Levi got it there, Erwin never asked. And so it seemed that Lord Shelton had met with foul play, out in the country on the way to his manor.

The search naturally continued, but it was becoming increasingly clear, there was no body to be found. There was only so much land to cover within the walls and nothing was forthcoming. And in truth, no one seemed to miss him. He had become too powerful for the king—rumor had it. Perhaps it was not foul play of the ordinary sort, so the stories went. Perhaps someone high up had wanted him gone.

***

It was about eight months' later when Erwin received the news. The inquest was suspending activities due to a lack of evidence pointing to the whereabouts of Manheim Shelton. The case would remain open, but all formal activities had been adjourned for now.

He quietly entered the apartment where Morgana lived to find her preparing dinner in the kitchen. They had decided to be discreet about their relationship and Morgana had continued living with Hange for the past months. Being together publicly may arouse suspicion.

As he came up and put his arms around her, he smiled to himself. Now they could breathe, he thought. Now they could get on with their lives. Together.

Despite the stress of the past few months, it had been some of the happiest of times for him. He would show up at the small apartment at any time of day and she'd be waiting for him with a smile on her face. His erratic schedule didn't seem to bother her in the least. She was always there with a soothing cup of tea or a nice meal or a sensual night between the sheets.

She had left off performing for now, given that she was living in Trost away from the venues and wanting to keep her name out of the spotlight. She had welcomed the respite from that world and Erwin wanted to keep her close while the investigation was ongoing. If she missed the luxury of the townhouse and servants, gowns and jewels, she never said a word, seemingly content to live quietly and simply.

"Well, hello, there," she turned around to give him a light kiss. "Are you joining us for dinner? Fortunately, I've prepared extra," she laughed. She always did—never knowing when Erwin could get away.

"I plan on joining you every night, from here on out," he murmured in her ear.

"Is that so?" She laughed again. "You seem in a good mood."