While You Were Riding to Vanity Fair

I promised my family that I'd never leave them again. And with my age, where would I go?

Obviously, I could do what I did previously, into the wild...but am I safe, is the big question? 

I don't feel safe. But I don't feel safe stuck in a constant state of mind in quarantine, even if Mary is right by my side to soothe those issues, I still need a form of release. 

Whatever shall I do?

The endless thoughts were rushing through my mind like waves:

"Paul, haven't you learned your lesson the first time? Haven't you hurt everyone around you when you did it that first time?"

I feel something wet and sticky on my hand. Rose is licking my palm, giving me her best attempt at puppy eyes that she could. 

"Rose..."

She whimpers, and I sigh, pulling her into my lap as I sadly sit on a nearby hill, deep in thought. 

"I know I'm not exactly in my prime anymore, but I have my fans...right? And similarly to last time, those fans will be devoted to searching for me...which is not what I'm saying is what I want, I'm saying that I just want to know that at least that I have someone, anyone, to care for me if something goes wrong. I'm afraid, Rose. Very afraid, but I'm also desperate for the outdoors. This...you don't understand how much this is relaxing me right now, Rosie."

She tilts her head to the side, jumping off of me and exploring the sights around her.

"Sweetie...do you know your way back home? I need you to go home for me, it will be much safer."

Her head perks up from her own little mindset of joy, being brought down from it. She whimpers yet again, jumping on me, who was now lying down in the damp clovers and blades of grass. 

I can't help but giggle a tiny bit. "You don't want to go, do you?"

Her eyes sparkle with sadness. 

I sigh and pet her head. "Fine. Just a little bit longer, and then you will have to return. I could never forgive myself if you were injured during this whole ordeal."

I blankly look off into the distance. There is a forest beyond this tall hill. Hmm. 

"Well, we have a start. Not much of one, but a start."

She truly had no idea of the words leaving my mouth. God, how I wish I still had Martha around. Rose is a sweetheart, and I'll protect her with my life on this journey if she's coming with me, but Martha's soul really isn't encapsulated within her. 

Still, while it was the early morning, I grabbed my essentials and dashed into the forest. Thankfully, Mary was sound asleep, even with all of the creaking that I had made trying to find each little item. 

"Ok, Rose. Let us go..."

She barked, already on her way to the forest. Wow, maybe I am doubting her intelligence after all. 

"Ok, ok, girl. I see you're eager."

Unfortunately, just a few steps into the mulch of the forest, we were stopped by a hoard of devilish eyed wolves. 

I scream, louder than I have in years, pulling my doggie close to me. "Please don't hurt us..."

They ignore my remark and only draw nearer and nearer, gritting their teeth. Were they going to eat us? Was this the end of Sir Paul McCartney as the world knew it?

"Ok, fine, hurt me if you must, but please don't hurt Rose...she's not doing anything to anyone..."

Just as I had tightly closed my eyes, expecting the end from these monsters, that similar warmth of a dog's drool was felt on my cheek this time...aww, licking my cheek this time, as a source of comfort? Do I dare look to see?

Yes, as that comforting kiss isn't from your dog at all. It's from the wolves. They're...friendly?

I chuckle a bit, sighing a large breath of relief. "Oh...hello there."

They motion for me to follow them deeper into their woods, and I decide to do so. This was my intention, after all. 

We stop at a little kingdom, already inhabited with people, titled something vaguely familiar...

"Vanity Fair? How interesting, it's just like-"

"No way. Sire, the king has returned!"

I am so unbelievably sorry that it took so long for me to update this story again. My life has been wildly busy this past year, but I'm done with school now (until college, at least, but I'm doing that all online and I know that it shouldn't be as bad), so I like I promised, updates on here should pick back up. Even Wattpad got mad at me. No, I'm not kidding. I got a message saying that I need to update the stories that I haven't for a while or at least mark them as complete if they are. Grr. Give me some time! But of course, we're fine now. Beatle power will move us forward 🙂