All Hail King Paul!

"Um, does someone want to tell me what is going on here?" I ask, a twinge of fear beginning to arise when a hoard of people surround Rose and I, including their pack of wolves, tamed as they may be. 

"Sir Paul McCartney, or shall we say, King Paul McCartney, we are so happy to have you in our little kingdom of Vanity Fair! We named it after you, clearly." A young boy smiles and brightly announces. Vanity Fair? Oddly enough, it really works for a town name, and wow, naming after that whole song of mine? How kind of them.

"Well, ta, I'm flattered, but still..."

"Hush, Macca. You and your pup here must be exhausted after finding your way here." One townsperson calmly spoke. Say, we've been awaiting your arrival for years. Praying that you would be the one to guide us. And now, here you are, it's like a dream come true!" One of the girls squealed. 

I smirked. "Here I am."

Just then, a strange man emerged from one of the bushes by a village house. "Mmm, I don't think that's really Paul. He died in 1966, remember? 54 years ago, so this? We're looking at Billy Shears here. Throw him out of the kingdom." 

One of the women rolls her eyes and slaps the man. "Greg! We've been over this! Billy Shears doesn't, and never will exist. The real Sir Paul McCartney is in front of us! Isn't that enough proof for you?!" Even Rose starts to growl at him, me needing to pull her lightly by the collar to stop any harm being done to the poor lad. 

I step up to the doubtful man, introducing myself as the same legend, holding aggressive Rosie behind me. "Hello, sir. I know we might be on different levels right now, but how about I make an offer? Let me sing a song for the kingdom of Vanity Fair. Prove myself worthy and all. How does that sound?" He simply shrugged it off, but still accepted the offer. 

I knew exactly what they needed:

I bit my tongue
I never talked too much, I tried to be so strong
I did my best
I used the gentle touch, I've done it for so long
You put me down
But I can laugh it off and act like nothing's wrong
But why pretend?
I think I've heard enough of your familiar song

I tell you what I'm going to do
I'll try to take my mind off you
And now that you don't need my help
I'll use the time to think about myself

You're not aware
Of what you put me through but now the feeling's gone
But I don't mind
Do what you have to do, you don't fool anyone

I tell you what I'm going to do
I'll take a different point of view
And now that you don't need my help
I'll use the time to think about myself

The definition of friendship
Apparently ought to be
Showing support for the one that you love
And I was open to friendship
But you didn't seem to have any to spare
While you were riding to Vanity Fair

There was a time
When every day was young, the sun would always shine
We sang along
When all the songs were sung, believing every line

That's the trouble with friendship
For someone to feel it
It has to be real or it wouldn't be right
I keep hoping for friendship
But I wouldn't dare to presume it was there
While you were riding to Vanity Fair

The sound of a  huge gasp could be heard. Every Fair-person, as what I would now refer to them as, screamed in joy. 

"Oh my goodness! He's singing our national anthem! It's beautiful! It's definitely the real Paul McCartney. There is no other voice like it." 

After the minor celebration, one sweet child approached me asking the fateful question: "So, Mr. McCartney, what brings you to our kingdom on this fine day? You know that we are all supposed to quarantine; are you just getting some fresh air?"

I sighed, petting Rose's head to try and ease my worries. "It's a long story, y'know. When Covid started, I actually ended up at my daughter Mary's house, and that was fine, but I do miss my wife, and it looks like my dog here, Rose, missed me a lot too as she came running back for me. That was the sign that something had to be done. And just like that one time, years ago, when I ran out into the wild due to the stress of the Beatles' breakup, now, here we are, doing a similar thing, even with my age. I just couldn't take the quarantine anymore. I had no idea where I could stay though, but-"

"Oh my, that's interesting. Say, we could take care of you and your little doggie here. Much easier than having to live on your own in the brutal nature, no?"

That little sentence alone was a big weight off of my shoulders. I couldn't bare having to live through nature's struggles, as much as I love it. At my age now, it would be near impossible. Plus, putting Rose through what I put Martha through? No, I just can't. Staying in a secure village like this seems fine. 

"Well, Rose, looks like you won't have to go home after all..."

The Fair-people give me a big hug, lifting me up. "All hail king Paul!"