Healing Valentine

Nancy's POV

"Paul?"

Feeling him fall out of my arms, unresponsive, terrified not only me, but the girls and Rose.

He can't be dead. He can't be.

My heart is pounding in my chest as I drag him back to our house, praying for the best.

Please Paul, don't leave me now...

"Dad...no..." both girls cried, fearing for their father, now lying on the couch with a blanket draped over him. The poor man needed nothing but rest.

Rose felt a sign of fear as well. She jumped on top of him, which, if Paul was for sure alive, I know would've woken him up. She does that all the time when she wants something in the morning.

But it was no use. No sign of any movement. I sigh. "Rose. Down."

She whimpers and walks away, pacing back and forth.

I go to do the dreaded test...I need to know. The girls are panicking behind me as I approach my motionless husband. I inhale sharply, and feel his pulse...

There was something there.

My eyes widen. I smile back at the girls, knowing that Paul was not yet an angel. There's a soul still inside him.

"He's ok?!" They ask, excitedly.

"Yes, I believe so. I think he's just in some kind of weak state. He can't have been knocked out. Nobody could've done that to him. But I do believe that he's worried and weak from his near death experience. Simply unconscious in a way, the poor thing. We'll just have to wait it out and let him heal."

I lightly kiss his forehead. It felt so good to have contact with his soft skin again.

Paul's POV

"Huh? Where am I? What's happening to me?"

"Allow us to explain..."

John and George, my angels. They'll certainly help me out of the dark...

I looked at myself. I wasn't the same. I felt like a ghost...was I? Am I dead now?

"Look, guys...I'm a ghost."

George shook his head. "You're not a ghost, Paul. That's your soul. Your unconscious state has landed you in limbo. You can't go anywhere without-"

"I don't like it in limbo!" John interrupted. "It's so dark...nothing but darkness..."

George sighs. "I know, John, but this is important. Remember why Paul is here. He took quite the beating while fighting the first time, and we should be proud, he did a great job."

"Yeah, you took our advice! Thanks, Macca!"

"But most importantly, your weakness from it all landed you here. You aren't dead. You aren't an angel or a ghost just yet, and you won't be, as long as you have the love that you need to heal-"

I get confused, when suddenly I feel a light kiss on my forehead.

"Guys, I think someone just kissed me..."

George smiled. "That's a type of healing. The love you're receiving. That will snap you out of it."

"Now I feel gentle licks on my hand..."

"Your dog! She's probably licking you! She jumped on you earlier too. Looking out for her owner and healing him!" John smiled, despite his fear of limbo.

"Two signs of affection? Well, John, you know what that means...

"We can leave limbo? Because I love Paul, but I hate it here..."

"No! We have to provide the final treatment. Relax, Paul, this'll only feel good and take away all bad..."

I saw both of them flutter their wings on both of my sides, tickling me as I was begging for mercy.

Their wings lit up, to the benefit of John, and with one final lyric, it all hit me:

"Sometimes I'd rather run and hide than stay and face the fear inside..."

"AHHH!"

"Paul! You're awake! Oh, I knew you'd be ok-"

I quickly ran into the bathroom and vomited harshly. George did say to get the bad all out, I suppose. I'm getting it all out now.

When I finally was done, I crawled out and lay on the floor, looking up at my lost girls...

"Dad?"

"Mary...Stella...I'm so sorry. I never meant for it to be this way and I should have learned my lesson the first time..."

Stella hugged me. "It's ok, Dad. I know I was away for a bit and wasn't even aware of this for a while, but when I found out, I had to take action. If I lost you, my heart would shatter..."

"Mine would too...I know things get stressful, but you're a legend, Dad. Mary added.

I smiled at them both, and Rose's licks on my hand were still so sweet. "And I'm sorry to you for putting you through this, but you're a brave doggie. You deserve endless treats."

Due to my still weak state, I couldn't actually go and get her any, but now I had to address my main concern...the love of my life.

"Nancy, love...I was a monster. I should have never kicked you out or said the things I said to you that awful day...I had nightmares about it afterwards. I let power get the best of me, and it almost got me and Rose killed."

I started bawling, to which she responded sweetly, to my surprise. "Paul, as much as those words hurt me, you don't understand how thankful I am to know that you're back and you're ok. I just wanted you home."

"My Valentine...I adore you." I smile and slowly crawl into her arms.

"You need rest, Paulie." She giggles.

"I have new songs to show you all!"

"Tomorrow, sweetheart. Tomorrow. Let's go to bed, Paul, my loopy boy."

I was tenderly placed into my bed that I know and love and the second Nancy joined me, I clung to her.

"Mmm, I've missed your needy like touch..."

"And I've just missed holding you in general..."

Within seconds, both of us were already asleep, happy to be back in our normal atmosphere.

Now let me lie with my love, for the time, I am home, home, home...