Where'd You Go, Dad?

Mary's POV

"Mmm, morning, Dad."

I peacefully roll over onto my side, expecting his soft morning cuddles, but they are not there. Did I sleep in too long? Is he already awake?

"Dad?"

No answer. I'm getting worried now, I feel like I've checked the whole house yet there is no sight of him. With his age, he couldn't have found a super hard to find hiding spot...would he? I mean, he is in excellent shape...

"Dad? Where are you?"

Now these are screams of desperation. Desperation and fear. I sound like a little child, I know. But I'm a little child who just wants her father back.

In a mess of sighs and slight tears being held back, I turn on the TV to try and distract me from this mess. Who knows, maybe there's a clear answer?

Mandates for Covid-19 have been changed. Everyone is now able to go outside if needed, but they must wear a mask.

Hmm, must wear a mask, you say? Then wear a mask I shall, if it means getting any information out of my last resort...

Nancy.

I quickly travel to Dad's actual house to see a panicked Nancy open the door.

"M-Mary? What are you doing here?"

"Well...it's...um..."

Nancy starts to cry, her tears flowing like a waterfall instead of holding them back like me. "I don't know what to do, Mary. Rose ran away. And I haven't received a call from Paul in days. I know that he calls me daily, something has to be wrong..."

I'm almost regretful to tell her to make things worse on her, but she must know the truth. I started choking up as the words "Paul...well, he's missing." left my mouth.

She broke down, and I came down with her.

"Why? Where is he? Where could he be? My Paulie..."

"I know...I'm scared too...I hate this, I just want him back. But hey, we can work together and look for him. As long as we wear the masks, of course."

"I suppose so..."

"And Stella is actually coming back earlier than I thought...I was gonna tell him this morning but y'know...if it takes a while, I know she'll help too."

That gave her just a shred more hope. "You're right. We can find him. He's out there somewhere, that crazy legend..."