08| I Forgot a Light. Stupid.

It was dark.

It was dark, like it was the night of a new moon, and all the stars were hidden. It was dark, like I had plummeted myself into the depths of the world, my eyes useless. It was so dark, I couldn't see the difference between having my eyes open, or pressed shut.

The light that came from the basement had disappeared a long time ago. I dragged my fingers over the walls, rough, dry and sandy, trying to keep count of how many steps I had already taken. I had lost count. My fingers were grazed and dirty, coated with dirt and mud, my short nails chapped. My burnt hand stung at first, but I had forgotten the pain.

The cool air of the tunnel made goosebumps appear on my flesh, and it smelled like there hadn't been fresh air inside for weeks. The floor was uneven under my feet, with holes and slopes, forcing me to shuffle forward, foot by foot. I had stubbed my toes more than once, the sharp rocks digging in the soles of my feet. I was regretting this choice already. I hadn't taken a lamp with me. I couldn't see a thing. I had to create a path in my mind, not knowing where I walked or set my feet.

I heard Kael shuffle behind me. I stopped. He bumped into me, unbalancing my footing.

"Tenna?" he whispered hoarsely. "What's going on?"

I shushed him, and closed my eyes. It didn't make much difference. Then I heard it. Banging. Loud thumps above my head, and sand falling into the nape of my neck, rolling into my shirt. My eyes shot open. The thumps were also coming from behind us.

I heard a soft whizz.

A flash of light.

The tunnel was illuminated blue in front of me for a split second.

I didn't recognise it.

In front of us was a parting, splitting the path in two. I tried to dig in my memory, but nothing showed up. I didn't remember. It was so long ago... and I had only come here once in my life. I pressed my eyes shut.

Left or right?

Left, right, left, right, left, right, leftrightleftrightleft...

I don't know.

The thumping of boots getting louder and louder behind us. My eyes snapped open again.

"Tenna!" Kael called behind me. I felt a hand on my arm. "Tenna? Where do we go?"

"Yeah?" I said. I realised that wasn't an answer. I was still trying to remember the path. We didn't go this way the last time. Did I lead us wrong? Were we lost?

A cry behind me.

Kael!

"Kael!" What happened? I turned around, my arm stretched in front of me trying to get hold of him.

I let go of the wall.

The only feeling I had was left in my feet, shuffling over the floor, trying not to trip. "Kael!" I whisper-shouted again. I crouched down on the floor, feeling with my hands, trying to get hold of something.

Another whizz.

I stifled a scream. The tunnel illuminated once again in front of me. I now knew where the flashes were coming from. It were electro-guns. The Authorities had found the tunnel too; they were coming.

I grabbed hold of Kael's arm. He had pushed himself against the wall, as I had seen in the flash of light just mere seconds ago.

"Get up!" I hissed, yanking his arm. I tried to pull him up. "Come on..." I said, tugging his arm. He didn't move. I heard a groan.